nos question

R

red91sc

nos question

I am thinking of putting nos in my car after I get it running again but have a few questions
1.I have 2 10 inch Kicker L7 solo baric subs in the trunk so do I have to worry about alot of bass with a nos tank in the trunk with it
2.what should I have done to my car so I dont blow it up(engine wise and really blowing the car up)so far I have a custom true dual exhaust,k&n cone filter,removed air silencer,and a little bit of port work on the exhaust side of the heads
3.does anyone know of anyone that installs it so I dont screw it up in anyway(northeast pennsylvania)
I am looking to get into the mid to high 14's and possibly high 13's low 14's
any help would be greatly appreciated

EEC Tuner and Heads...

I would get a set of ported/polished heads with larger valves (about $750) and an EEC tuner. I've been talking with DR Fred about how to run a NOS swticth to trigger a retarded timing mode through the ECC.

I want to run NOS as well, but i am not touching the stuff till i get the heads and tuner. Too risky. Also look at getting larger injectors and a larger fuel pump.

Just my $.02

Re: EEC Tuner and Heads...

Take a good look at your bottom end. Piston crank that sort of thing. a lot of people pay attention to the intake and upper engine which is good but also look hard at the bottom to. pistons, rings that sort of thing.

My crank is already shot so I am trying to find another one without buy a new long block(nobody here will sell a short block)I have been checking salvige yards but the only cranks they have are out of n/a 3.8 and i posted awhile back about using a 4.2 crank from the newer f150's but was told they wont hold together.what type of pistons should I get for a nos setup?

Best bet...

Is to wait a little bit. I know someone right now working on a deal with Crane Cams. Should have something in a little while.

There was discussion on NOS on another board. E-mail me and i will give you the link.

dean@shatteredlimits.com

I actually have a Long block sitting in my garage out of my 92 SC. I am willing to make a short block. Where do you live? I am located just west of Philly. E-mail me at dkseegers@prodigy.net, if you are interested.
Also, I have have a NOS but it is not on the car (yet). I am looking into making it a wet system. If you install NOS start small on horsepower. I have the jet sizes for a dry system. I was planning on starting with 50 hp and working up to 75hp. I was also looking at dynoing the motor and using a wide ratio o2 for test, this way I know if I am running lean. There is no sense in running NOS if you are lean.
I would look at getting the head ported and also having the chambers cleaned up. I do not think you will need to worry about retarding the timing until about 100hp on NOS. I know Wayne Ing of the SCCoO is running 100 with no tuner, but that is the max.
One thing about NOS, respect it. A misconception is to bolt it on and away you go. Your car has to be in tune. I would definitely research about NOS before jumping into it. I have the NOS system sitting in my garage for a year. I have not installed yet due to new engine being broken in and I have not had the engine dynoed yet.
Hope this helps
Ken

Ken...

With your NOS system, are you going to run a seperate fuel source (tank, pump, etc) for the nitros, or just run it off the regualr fuel system.

I saw George make a post about running th 255 pump into two supply lines and using one for each side of the engine. To me this would be esential in a NOS set up to prevent a lean situation.

Where were you thinking of your fogger nozel? I was thinking of running mine in from the IC return line as close to the top as i could get it.

The idea is still out on the table for a EEC tuner file for NOS opporation. Just need a way to tell the EEC to enter 'NOS MODE'.

I want to keep talking about this. I have thought about working up to a 75 hp shot.... but i need to learn some more. I need to figure out what all i need to do to my engine.

Re: Ken...

Dean,
I was going to use the stock fuel system. I have a 190LPH pump in the tank. I might change it to a 255LPH. I should be safe with 50 hp to 75hp, 100hp is questionable right now. I had the bottom end rebuilt with stock pistions and rods, but everything is held together with ARP Fastners. The heads are also ported and polished. I am going to take one step at a time with the NOS. I have access to dyno to test the lean/rich condition of the motor. I am going to wait until spring to do this. My car is in storage right now. I am planning on running the nozzle on the lower intercooler tube near the intake elbow.
I plan on having this done by Carisle, but I am in no rush.
Later
Ken

Good luck...

My life has taken a slight 'dramatic' spin to it lately. So i may be drawing out of the SC world for a little while till i get myself back in order.

If you have it done by carlisle, you will have to show me your set up. Once i graduate and get a decent paying job (which won't be till after grad-school i am sure) i will be doing a total car make-over.

Back