almost done, little more help needed

GREATWHITE666

ok, im just gonna start a new thread because i have to drive to school next week and that takes a highway trip... here's what i got so far,

i just vented out all air i could from system, i put a funnel in the rad top, and unscrewed vent plug, started car, squeezed upper rad hose, all fine, no bubbles coming up, replaced cap and vent plug, let run for a few min. Ive never actually looked at this so i dont know how it should be but, after about 5 minutes of running, the upper rad hose was expanded and the radiator on top was hot, i dont know how long it hsould take to heat up but im looking at everything i can.. maybe it's normal.. but i wasnt sure because of the new t stat i just put in.. ive read that the opening could not be big enough? i just got it at a local parts shop... there's no leaks anywhere, and no bubbles in coolant when i rev it. think it could be tstat?
thanks in advance,,

temp gauge

temp gauge has gotten hotter than ive ever seen it. on highway normal driving, no AC, the gauge climbed past the "m".. i eventually put the heat on high and it cam back a little just below the "m". before i had the stock t stat and it would always hover around the "OR" without ac on highway... this isnt a robert shaw t stat i just got it from a parts store, ive heard most say that if youre gonna do a 180, get the shaw... . what do u think? i know the fans r fine because before the flush and stat change, it would go to the "m". fan would kick on and cool it off...
thanks

Have you considered the fact that maybe the radiator flush cleaned gunk off of the temp sensor and maybe now the gauge is reading what the temp has always been.

Possibility two, temp sensor is shot, and or the factory gauge. I would pick up a cheap aftermarket gauge and hook it up and see what the temperature really is, the factory gauge sucks and can read all over the place. You don't even have to mount the gauge, just hook it up and see where your at.

I've got the Shaw.

And yes there is a diff in opening with some aftermarket's.

Did you use the vent tube? If you have an air pocket in the top of the engine, filling the radiator to the top won't get rid of it and the engine WILL run hot.

The vent tube has a plastic upside down cup about 2-3" across under a bolt screwed into the tube. When the engine is cold, remove the bolt and let it warm up until coolant starts to come out the tube, then screw the bolt back in.

Lee

My "cup" is missing, but...

Follow the yellow tipped arrow.

Lee

Attachments

• engineventtube.jpg
    engineventtube.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 109
yup

yea, i did put that screw plug back in until antifreeze was coming out of it... i think im gonna try to change the t stat to a shaw one.. maybe that's it.

Back