Throttle Position Sensor...???

007_SuperCoupe

Okay, here's a question for the experts, (okay, several related questions). What is the specific function of the TPS? I know that it sends a signal (not sure the range of voltage) to the EEC as to the position of the throttle. What would then happen if say at WOT, the TPS sends a signal that is just out of range for the EEC? How will the EEC respond? Will the engine 'cut out' and then pick up again based upon other sensor readings? I'm curious about this. Had a bad night at the track and am trying to figure it out. New tires ('W' rated), 4-wheel align, TV cable adjusted, and COOL temps...around 60*F. But the best I could muster was a 15.8 when a months ago with BALD 'S' rated tires I managed a 15.2. I double checked all vacuum connections and sensor connections and they are all good. At any rate, if someone can give me an answer to my TPS questions, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

The EEC will apply the wrong fuel and ignition tables.
Could cause the fuel mixtures to be rich or lean depending on what reading the TPS is sending. The ignition timing curve could also be affected because the comp doesnt really know trully what the throttle position is........Oh I dont consider myself an expert so you can take what I said with a grain of salt.;)

Hey Sam - just out of curiousity - did you ever find your nuts?

haha - couldn't resist posting. That was one of those moments last night. Was just a bad choice of words :)

-Andy "Melon"

HA HA HA! Way to "Blue Falcon" me there 'buddy!' I'm laughing right with you there! It was a good time the other night. The wife did enjoy getting to drive the SC down the strip. (Points for me!) Still hoping to find what the problem is though. I was thinking about it the whole way home and the symptom only rear their head when I go to WOT fast. If I ease into, there are no problems...at least not as severe. That's why she ran .2~ faster than me. I slammed on it and she eased on it. My 60' times were faster by .1 sec, but she ran faster. The only thing I can think is the TPS...(still hoping to find a solution other than the torque converter)

Mike,
I'm not sure that the EEC would apply any fuel/ignition tables. If the TPS is out of range, the EEC would not know how to interpret the data, so it wouldn't. That is my guess at any rate. The engine will run rough with frequent "misses." But again, that is what I am thinking would happen. If the TPS is sending a signal that is within the parameters, but not correct, then the EEC will apply the wrong tables. But out of the parameters, I'm not too sure.

Does anyone know what will happen if the TPS send signals that are out of the EEC parameters for the TPS??? I need to fix this beast! Thanks.

If the TPS is sending a signal that is within the parameters, but not correct, then the EEC will apply the wrong tables.Thats what I'm saying.

Does anyone know what will happen if the TPS send signals that are out of the EEC parameters for the TPS??? I need to fix this beast! Thanks.Easy enough to find out. Unplug the TPS and see. A buddy of mine that was too cheap to get a new TPS when his took a dump just unpluged his and the ECU goes to open loop and only uses the open loop fuel and ignition tables. The car ran better but drank the hell out of gas. He thought that was cheaper than buying a new TPS. :rolleyes:

Back