Newbie questions.

dodgetruck91

hey, i just bought a 89 cougar Supercharged 5spd, I wanna make it fast now. i would like to know what you all did to make yours fast. my plans are this....

Headers, pipes, OD pully, Chip, tbi spacer.

Any one have any other ideas that would bee great. also if any one hahs done t the same thingns i mentioned i wold like ur input on how they worked. Also where might i find some of these parts? thanks,

Welcome to the SCCoA. Where are you located? Besides hangin' out here, one of the best things you can do is locate anyone in your area that also owns one of these beasts and share info. Put your locale in your sig or sumthin' and someone will spot it and you might then discover a wealth of tech right down the street or across town from you.
As far as your question, you're headed in the right direction by doing sumthin' about the exhaust. Other things to consider with a "new" XR7/SC are normal things that can create headaches & gremlins.

Take a good hard look at your motor & trans mounts, the originals fail on a regular basis.

Make sure your radiator is up to snuff, ours have a bad habit of partially clogging and we never think about it until too late. Rodding is the best cure.

Do a little pre-maintenance on your MAF unit. The sensor can get dusty/coated and cause problems, use a little bit of Windex to wash it. NO rubbing, just rinse it.

Concerning MAF, start lookin' for a later model housing. Stock '89 is 55mm, grab a 70mm and install it.

Others will chime in with tips you can use, hopefully you'll be glad you got the car (pun intended :p ) and will enjoy it. Be sure to cruise the Tech section of this bbs, just scan down a couple of pages and make mental notes of what you see. Bookmark a few threads that peak your interest for future reference, be sure to print out what you want to keep handy.

Good luck, and again welcome to the SCCoA.

'bird

im in Milwaukee area. any one from there?......

As for tthe car goes I will have to check all of that out, My other concern is the instruments on the dash, just about all of the warning lights are on, is this a problome? im guessing there is something wrong with the computer, but i just want to make sure that i just ignore them that it wont cause any real damage.

Also, is the computer that controls the messsage centers the same that controolss thhe iignition and other componetss?

Yeah Pro Street Rich (Richard Bruhn - '90 SC) is in Franksville.

He's one of the more knowledgeable and helpful guys around.

Lee

Headers, pipes, OD pully, Chip, tbi spacer

I'd skip the headers and tbi spacer. Most will tell you they are waste of money. I'd take a look at larger MAF and TB, and a raised top.

Thomas

Back