PDA

View Full Version : Bearing?

ShawnSC1
09-13-2003, 06:12 PM
I want to remove the bearing on the end of the crankshaft. It is for the 5speed tranny. I don't need it because I have the aod tranny. Please let me know the safest way to take it off. Thanks

DLF
09-13-2003, 07:44 PM
The best way is a pilot bearing puller. But, it's not going to hurt anything to leave it alone, why bother?

MIKE 38sc
09-13-2003, 07:55 PM
He needs to get it out because the torque converter will not pull up to the flexplate with it in there. In this pic you will see the protrusion in the center that slides into the pilot bearing hole.

DLF
09-13-2003, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by MIKE 38sc
He needs to get it out because the torque converter will not pull up to the flexplate with it in there. In this pic you will see the protrusion in the center that slides into the pilot bearing hole.

OK, thanks, never had an automatic ;)

DLF
09-13-2003, 08:02 PM
Here's a link and a pic.

http://www.autopart.com/Tools/file/part219.htm

DLF
09-13-2003, 08:04 PM
If you hurry, here's the one I have, cheap.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2431906863&category=43996

ShawnSC1
09-13-2003, 10:08 PM
Yep thats the tool I need.

I just run into a friend of mine and he says to take the shaft out of the tranny. Then fill the hole where the bearing is. With grease, and then put the shaft into it. You would now wack the end of the shaft with a hammer. He says it will come loose, and will do no damage to the crankshaft. Is that posible.

MIKE 38sc
09-13-2003, 10:14 PM
Sometimes that works. Hope your lucky.:)

stocker 89
09-14-2003, 11:38 AM
I went all over town looking for a puller and could not find one. I ended up cuttingit out. I used a dremmel and some small cutting stones. I made two cuts one at twelve o clock and another at five oclock. Then popped it out with a screw driver. Took about 15 minutes. Be careful when you start getting close to the crank a little skim or scrape from grindstone won't hurt it but you wouldn't want to put a deep cut in the crank. Good LUCK

ShawnSC1
09-14-2003, 09:10 PM
Ya thats the problem, worrying about the shaft. Now I hope I can find that tool. If not I might try to install grease into the hole of where the bearing is. Grab the shaft from inside the aod tranny. Then put the shaft into the hole of grease. Then bang the end of the shaft with a hammer. Has anyone perfored this. I was told the bearing will come loose.

DLF
09-14-2003, 09:24 PM
There isn't a shaft from the AOD that goes into the bearing.

There is a protrusion on the converter that does, as shown in the pic posted above.

What normally goes in the bearing is the input shaft from the M5R2 manual transmission.

What you may be able to find locally is a clutch alignment tool. The alignment tool that came with the Spec Stage II clutch for my Cobra also fits my SC clutch, so it would appear that the later model Fords are the same diameter.

MIKE 38sc
09-14-2003, 10:19 PM
Let me put it this way. I would not be sticking any tranny shaft from a tranny that I ever would use again into that bearing and hitting it with a hamer.
In order for you to do this with a tranny shaft you would need a shaft from a 5 speed tranny to use as a tool. Once you use the tranny shaft as a tool in this manner you wust never use the shaft in a tranny again.
So what you really need to do this is a junk input shaft from a 5 speed tranny. Have you got one of those laying around?

MartianBob
09-15-2003, 11:07 AM
That bearing is likely in there very tight. I broke a steel jaw on a slide hammer type puller trying to get that thing out last weekend. A screw type press puller would probably do the trick.

I had to drill mine out. Ultimately I drilled about 6 1/8 inch holes through it (started with 1/16 pilot holes). Three of them were close enough to overlap and create a large channel. Then the puller poped it out.

If you dont have the proper puller, then start cutting or drilling now.

Good luck
MB

ShawnSC1
09-15-2003, 02:49 PM
Thats the name I was looking for. The input shaft. Ok you got a good point about the aod shaft and the 5speed shaft. I will try to get a puller tool. Thanks

buck92sc
09-15-2003, 11:35 PM
The grease method worked for me. Fill the space behind the bearing with thick grease. Make sure its completely full and no air pockets inside. Use a grease gun if you have one to pump it in. I used a metal clutch alignment tool to pound on. And you MUST POUND HARD, and likely need to keep filling the hole with grease....because some will leak out and make a mess lol. I got it out after like 15 really really hard whacks with a 2 pound hammer. Good luck.

Kyle