brake master cylinder help (brake lines)

HappyHourHero

ok, i did a search and nothing came up that i could see. anyway i was going to put a master cylinder in my car today. the guy who sold me the M/C from ebay just cut the brake lines rather than just taking them off, i tried and can't get them off. i used wd40 and still can't get them off. i did get one off, but it ended up unscrewing the bigger nut rather than the one from brake line(sorry i dont have a pic, hopefully someone knows what i'm talking about) any ideas?? i don't want to break it tring to get the lines off. i hope it wont be that hard getting the lines off the old one thats still in my car. and also any tips on the whole replacement will be appreciated.
thanks

Same problem on 2 other occasions.

Never did get them off . Ended up changing the piece that the 4 lines hook to . There a three bolt that hold the rectangular piece with the 4 lines connected to it. There is also a metal gasket with rubber O rings between the rectangular block and master cylinder. I tried everything heat , loosining agent. Hammer. nothing worked. Don't know why but they are the tightest break lines I have ever came across . Good luck.

whoa, thanks for the replys guys, i did finally get them off the new M/C by cutting the lines to the nut shorter and using a ratchet, the larger nut came off and then using 2 ratches i got the brake line nut off the larger nut. so i hope it wont be that hard getting the lines off the old one or i won't have a car for a few days hahaha. i might just go out and get some tubing wrenches first
thanks

Yeah, I dont know why but the material that they make the brake line nuts out of is pretty soft and if you just use an open end wrench on them they round right off.
I put a tubing wrench on and then give it a good slap, it generaly breaks them loose the first try. The trick is to just slap them quick to break them loose.:)

ok, so i was able to work on the sc today, got the tubing wrenches, still took a very long time to get the brake lines off....but all is good now, i have it in and working, oh wait i am lying. it took about 3+ hours to get the old M/C out and when taking the lines off one ended up breaking, and im sure i broke something when i pulled it out... so thats where i am left till tommarow, hopefully i will be able to put the new one in and new brake line in tommarow before 1:00.

thanks

p.s. this better work becouse i will never do this again:(

Back