I had to start somewhere, but what to do now?

Guys,
I finally get to start dissasembling an '89 SC engine that is sitting in my garage. I have an engine stand and I just purchased $120.00 worth of tools. This motor will be used to create my 400BHP engine with the help of Magnum Powers and Coy's heads and cam. The only thing I will be reusing will be the crank, block, intake manifold, and oil-pan.

I just have a few questions about how to build the short-block!

1) When I take the block to the machine shop how much should I have it bored? I have heard just enough to clean the walls up.

2) Are there any special bearings, caps, pistons, or rods that I should use?

3) I know that '94 SC's came out with some sort of oil-tray in the pan. Who sells one?

Thanks for any advise. I hope I don't sound ignorant, but this will be my first rebuild and I want to do it right. ;)

Dirtybird91

Hey wildman, check out Morana's website. He has a windage tray you might be interested in. As far as boring, let a machine shop (a good one) sonic-check your block, it'll be a very good investment.

'bird

tbird88 said:
Hey wildman, check out Morana's website. He has a windage tray you might be interested in. As far as boring, let a machine shop (a good one) sonic-check your block, it'll be a very good investment.

'bird

Thanks Wynne!!!!!!!:cool:
I have never heard of "sonic checking" an engine block. I will definately be doing that!:cool:

Also what should I have done with the crankshaft????

Last edited:
Back