March Aluminum Ud Pulley

Randy N Connie

I bought some March UD pulleys the first of the year .
I put the crank shaft pulley on and the water pump pulleys
when I got the set. I was going to put the alternator pulley
on today.And I made a shim so it wouldn't rub the alternator.
Went to put the alternator back on, and it would not fit. I
didn't have enough clearance between the front edge of the
aluminum alternator pulley, and my IC collar on the top IC
tube where it bolts to the intercooler.

I have heard where the pulley needed to be move out away
from the alternator. But I have never seen any one talk about
the pulley being to large a diameter to clear the IC collar holding
the top IC tube.

Has any one had this problem? With MARCH pulleys

RANDY

Last edited:
I was going to install mine last Saturday when I found I need one of those spacers for mine too.

I remember reading where it took a little grinding on some cars top tube collar to get the clearance you need.

Good luck

I had to grind down the alternator housing to allow for a thinner spacer in order not to run on the uppper IC tube. It's still very tight.

Aaron

Pastera, Thats what I did now I need to find a shorter accessory belt.
Because I also took my AC of. A nd my alternator is adjustable now..

RANDY

A lot of people are talking about runout in these pulleys, I have none. They took a long time to make and get right (well still not quite right).

BTW: I pulled the valves out of one one of my spare heads and will try to post some pictures this week - God, the exhaust ports are terrible.

Aaron

from my recent experience ur better off not using the alt pulley with that kit--the alt does not spin fast enough with that pulley to power all the stock acc on the sc. unless ur in it just for a performance gain--I think its not a good idea
with a new alt and battery mine car would actually shut off if I let it sit there idling with ac on and or headlights or cooling fan
just my 2 cents
g/l
btw-I have my ac compressor spaced out to take up the slack in the belt cause I still havent found a shorter belt

pastera,every one of the March pulleys had run out but the water pump pulley.
I had to machine the crankshaft pulley,the aternator pulley.I was going to finally
put the alternator pulley on just for the bling.I think I have 4to5 hours messin
around with it.

Brianas, After reading your post I think I am going to take it back off.And
machine a new one about stock size.

Thanks for the input about my trashy pulley.I hope to get it all lined out
and not have any electrical problems.

THANKS RANDY

I have had my underdrives on for over a year now. I just recently installed an Amp and subs. Now my alternator tests bad. My car would cut out at times too. I am putting a new alt on tommarrow and was wondering how you went about using the stock pulley on the car when using the March crank and wp pullies. You say you didnt change the belt. How did you space the ac pulley, to take up the slack?

BTW I had to grind my interccoler tube bracket for the underdrive pulley to fit. Its close though, I can probably barely slide a piece of paper through the clearence between the two.

speedyg I just ran the crankshaft pulley, and the water pump pulley ,with the stock
belt, and stock alternator pulley.I had no belt slippage.

I am going to machine a aluminum one for the alternator stock size.

RANDY

Last edited:
Randy

When I get the engine apart, I will look at getting the main pulley checked for runout. There is no reason to have any runout on these pulleys at all, if they were jigged up properly.

If you are making a stock sized alternator pulley, I would be interested if you plan on selling a few. I don't like the fitment of the March pulley.

Aaron

pastera, I hadn't planed on selling any,But if I have time I
will cut one out for you.I was going to do this job today.But
I need to work on ideler pulleys today.And the make another
waterpump/AC delete plate.Then I will be doing a hub for
a carbon-carbon brake rotor for a bike.For a customer in
Germany.So it my be a while.

RANDY

Last edited:
what i have learned is you get the most power from the crank pulley.water pump and alt pulley are just lil bonuses but not needed. on my mustang all i have is the crank pulley on and on my sho i have the crank and water pump but i didn't do the alt.and everything is fine on mine.i haven't done the super coupe yet but i will probably just do the crank on that car cuz i don't want to slow down the water pump due to the heat that engine puts out.in my sho i have a big amp and speaker box and i have no problems cuz i didn't change the alt pulley.

Randy
Did you say ur making urself a stock size shiny aluminum alt pulley?
I would be interested in one if u can make it
btw-I am very dissapointed with the polished march ud pulleys I got--I cant even use the alt pulley--what a deal!
Josh

Back