I got a 65 ford falcon!!!!! FREE

lessonintorque

Ok so I go to visit my cousin today he lives in san diego but grew up here. So I went to tampa to see him while he was back in town and he took me to a storage unit and told me he had a present for me if I would be interested in restoring it, Its a 1965 ford falcon !! It has a striaght 6 and a 3 on the tree shifter! Its only got 27k all original miles.:D :D I can barely contain myself! Im gonna need to do some work and im sure a full rebuild on the engine since it hasnt moved in 6 years, and it has some rust but its only superficial and very light. Im not sure If I want to keep the inline 6 or go with a bigger power plant, maybe a 460? It will fit in that monsterous engine bay. so what do you think?

Not sure, I would maybe do a cheap rebuild on the 6, get it painted and sell it as all original and make a profit and then put the money into something better. But this is just me because I don't like the Falcons. If you like the car then keep it of course. To me though it just makes more sense to get rid of it.

Heh.. 460 won't fit without cutting the towers. I'd put a nice late model 5 liter in it.

Oh...That would make a nice Ford Thunderbolt replica complete with 427CI engine sporting 2-4 barrel Holleys and 4 on the floor!
That little thing would fly!:D

ford falcon

I had a 69 falcon tha i was restoring but after my grand father passed away i had no where to keep it so it got sent to the junkyard:( .(was not my desicion to do that)but i was either going to put a ford 390 or my spare 3.8 sc engine in it.

MIKE 38sc said:
Oh...That would make a nice Ford Thunderbolt replica complete with 427CI engine sporting 2-4 barrel Holleys and 4 on the floor!
That little thing would fly!:D

Except that the Thunderbolt was based on the 1964 Fairlane, not a 1965 Falcon.

I have a 302 block with a new crank and crane cam, just need heads, pistons,etc.. (yeah only!) But its a 65 falcon futura and I think with a rebuild a good powerplant and tran, and a good flame paint job and some FAT mickeys id look so tough! I want to have It done right now!! Im actually thinking of strippingdown my sc and putting it all (engine,tran,cpu,) into the futura. So is that crazy?

A guy in Riverside was planning on putting the SC engine into a 65 Caliente.

The falcon is just a hair lighter, but the same basic body. It's gotta weight close to 1,000lbs less that the SC. ;)

Lee

You knew what I meant Doug! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
dharma_bum_e7 said:
Except that the Thunderbolt was based on the 1964 Fairlane, not a 1965 Falcon.

The 2 I have seen were Falcons, not sure about exact year though. They were both gold in color had aluminum front bumpers,fenders and were factory Ford race cars complete with authenticating paperwork. Very nice little cars.;)

Lee I'm a little confused. Are you saying the Falcon is 1k or 100 lbs lighter than a SC?

Was a Falcon and Fairlane the same body back then? All I can remember is a 67 Fairlane which was inbetween a Falcon and Galaxie in size/weight. I was watching a Thunderbolt on TV last night and would swear it was based on the intermediate Fairlane. Were there diferent years? Confused.

Doug

Last edited:
falcons were smaller

Falcons are WAAAY smaller than a galaxy and a fairlane im not sue of the actual weight but when we were 16 in an unsavory part of town someone shot at the car and it bounced off and left a smal dent (still there!!!) hows that for steel!? Its an idea to use my SC guts for it but it just screams V8, but that will be alot more money than just guting my bird and making that work. I want a 351 but hey dont we all. Its gonna cost so much for a new interior and paint and what not. I just want it to be complete as soon as possible (im impatient as hell):mad: :D :D

Are you kidding? V8 goodys are cheap compaired to the SC motor.
Build a 392 stroker out of a 351W. Lotsa power!:D

But I just spent 6-7 grand on that bird out side! Ive got a good sc engine and It will be a while untill I can afford to build that v8 instead of my sc. Also im rebuilding my sc from years of neglect and abuse and it needs a real interior and exterior over haul itself, And my kid is gonna be born on october 24, so thats not gonna be cheap. So do I try and fix both or have one right away.:confused:

Finish your SC then start work on your Falcon. I already have 2 more cars waiting in line after I get my SC done. Its a ongoing hobby. So many cars and so little time.:D

lessonintorque said:
Its only got 27k all original miles

That should tell you to pretty it up a little and get rid of it. Some guy into restoring cars will pay good money for that car. Don't mess with a car that close to new. Let someone into restoring love that car in it's shape. Take the money and build yourself a monster or something. I tell you, you can get cash for that car.

Last edited:
Aaron is right. Just clean it, save any scraps that come loose in a box, and sell it. I would get the motor spinning and maybe fired up without an overhaul, if not too much trouble. But a clean job and list it around for the cash, or would your cousin be offended? Work it out or splitt the $ maybe. I have a similar situation with a 68 Firebird almost restored from a relativ's dead son for 4500 where a paint job sells it for double or more. But they understand if I take it I will sell it to use on my Fords. Sticky situation but we worked it out and all are ok.

Lee, it was the middle of the night when I couldn't sleep or reason as well I guess. Yea 1K lighter than an SC. I guess I don't remember any Fairlane and Falcon being the same size. Oh well.

Last edited:
I don't think alzheimmer's completely gotten me yet.

The Fairlane was between the Falcon and Galaxie in size and later became the Torino. (The Mustang was based on the Falcon platform - lighter, less expensive running gear.)

The Mercury version of the Falcon was the Comet, and the Falcon Futura counterpart was the Comet Caliente.

Man, I'm showing my age! :p

Lee

Last edited:
Worse positions to be in

Im gonna have to think about that one, on one hand im figuring that I could get a pretty penny for it but on the other hand its a 1965 falcon futra with 27k on the meter for free! man I really gotta think this through. My cousin Probably would kill me I mean he could have sold it but he wanted me to make it into a classic monster with all the trimings, he doesnt have the knowledge or motivation, not that I got ALL the knowledge but I will after rebuilding the car.:D Man I gotta think cuz I love my bird (as much as I hate it!!) and thats just an awesome car. But there are worse positions to be in.:D :cool:

Yea don't screw up a relationship. Got to talk it out if you have problems.

Man don't do anything from what we say. You like Falcon's and want to restore it then go for it. Gifts are great. Don't answer but can you store it at no cost to you before you really get into it? I would check out what they sell for in original 6 or modified. Maybe adtional info will help you. Too bad crushing has been so active but yards out west in small unheard of places still have lots of old cars to help if needed.

Last edited:
Back