Stupid @$$ car and its computer!

91BLOWNSC

Driving into town today to get some oil for my car...the damn thing decides to stall again after running decently. I sat in the car for 2 hours to try and let it cool down or let the computer reset none of which helped. My climate control is on and my cooling fan is on..all the default settings. Its currently in a parking lot sittin unattended. So it pretty much sucks. I am going to the J-yard to pull on from a 90 auto SC...mines a 91 auto..so hopefully i can use that in my car. What do you guys think.

Good qeustion, Why do you think it has anything to do with the comp? What codes are you getting? Does your upshift light come on and stay on while you crank the engine? Does your tach work?
Do you have any black smoke coming out of the tailpipes?
Is your check engine light on?

well..

I beleive its the computer because when I turn the key in the "on" position, the fuel pump doesnt' kick on, the cooling fan comes on which tells me the car doesn't know what temp the engine is at, and the climate control kicks on. Its the only thing i can think would cuase this, and I need to get my dang car home. It ticks me off.

How about things like a bad ground?

After many years as a instumentation tech and now as an engineer, I can tell you it's almost always something simple.

Unfortunately, I only have the EVTM for an 89, which does not offer climate control, so I can't tell you where exactly to start looking.

A good start would be to make sure the EEC is getting good power and ground.

Check J3 port pins 29 and 30 for a good ground.

Turn on ignition to run position and check J3 port pins 27 and 28 for Vbat (12 volts)

Check J3 port pins 1 and 2 for +5volts.

J3 port looking at the back of the EEC. I may be easier to remove the top cover and probe only the odd pin numbers.

29 27 25 23 21 19 17 15 13 11 09 07 05 03 01
==================================
30 28 26 24 22 20 18 16 14 12 10 08 06 04 02

Aaron

BTW: Join AAA, it pays for itself with your first tow.

pastera said:
How about things like a bad ground?

After many years as a instumentation tech and now as an engineer, I can tell you it's almost always something simple.

Unfortunately, I only have the EVTM for an 89, which does not offer climate control, so I can't tell you where exactly to start looking.

A good start would be to make sure the EEC is getting good power and ground.

Check J3 port pins 29 and 30 for a good ground.

Turn on ignition to run position and check J3 port pins 27 and 28 for Vbat (12 volts)

Check J3 port pins 1 and 2 for +5volts.

J3 port looking at the back of the EEC. I may be easier to remove the top cover and probe only the odd pin numbers.

29 27 25 23 21 19 17 15 13 11 09 07 05 03 01
==================================
30 28 26 24 22 20 18 16 14 12 10 08 06 04 02

Aaron

BTW: Join AAA, it pays for itself with your first tow.

Alright, I will give that a shot. I just switched computers from my friends 91 AUTO and it still didn't work. I know its something electrical and probably a ground; you guys are right. I will run through and check what you put here and post what I come up with. It seems with the key int he forward position things that shouldn't operated do. MY Climate control is on, and my cooling fan is on, but my fuel pump doesn't turn on with the key in the forward position. Now when I turn the key back to the "Off" position the fuel pump turns on for a split second and goes off. The tachometer of my car also drops (like its being pulled down) along with the fuel pump kicking on.

Well...

BARTHWY59 said:
i think it's your ignition switch...try wiggling it and see if it turns things on and off

That was one of my guesses and I already replaced that. I hope to god its not a short in a wire somewhere. I don't even know how I would fix that. I have had nothing but problems since my HG's went. I guess my next thing to do is what pastera said.

hmm..

Couple of things I came across while searching this site for similar problems to mine. This first link shows what the IRCM controls ona 1994 SC posted by racecougar. Not sure exactly if thats the same as a 91 but seems likee everything listed is what IM having trouble with.

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=27984&highlight=ircm

The second link I found was this....which decribes my problem almost down to the T.

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=27419&highlight=ircm

Don't mind these links below Im putting these on simply so I remember them to help me diagnose the problem:

http://www.frontiernet.net/~miketoni/images/tbird/DISnostart/DIS No Start.htm

Last edited:
Can somebody scan the climate control wirng for a 91 SC

I can get a better picture if I have that.

Aaron

pastera said:
Can somebody scan the climate control wirng for a 91 SC

I can get a better picture if I have that.

Aaron

Yeah all that would be helpful. And to extend upon my day. I had my car towed home because it wouldn't start after I tried a new IRCM that I paid 25 bucks for. :( Still nothing.

It's not easter so don't easter-egg the problem. You

What you need is a schematic of the common wiring between those systems. You could get in there and physically inspect all of the wiring, but finding the problem would not be easy that way.

Someone must have a EVTM showing the climate control wiring. Help this guy out with a scan.

Aaron

I have it I just cant get it to upload to the site. I keep getting a message that the file is too big. The image is a bitmap at 2.2 meg. I need to change it to a jpg image but cant fig it out. Could someone tell me how to change it to jpg? I'm using Windows XP and MS paint.:confused:

Mike,
Open it up in paint as a bitmap, then up under "File", choose "Save as". When the window pops up, select Jpeg under the "save as type" menu.

Thank you Mr Mattix I knew it was something simple I just didnt know what. Now I have another problem, its still too big. File size is now 131KB the site says I'm limited to 102400 bytes.
Maybe I could get it down to size if I could figure out how to get rid of all the things surounding the diagram that arent needed.
Uuuuuuuh.....sometimes I hate computers!:(

Got it! See if this helps you, if you need anything else just holler.:)

Attachments

• cc wiring.bmp
    48.6 KB · Views: 42
Mike

Do you have the power distribution diagram for the climate control - I'm mostly interested in the ground lines as that is what I think his problem is.

Thanks
Aaron

Back