Stainless Tube dimensions

NorthrnSCownr

The tube that MP sells for $120 is said to be 16 guage by 3.5". Can anyone tell me what the ID(inner dimension) and or OD(outer dimension) is? Also if that is rated for a specific sized MAF?
Any help appreciated,
Regards,
Tom

Tubing is sized by OD pipe is sized by ID. To get the ID of tubing multiply the wall thicknes by 2 then subtract that from the OD.
Pipe is just the opposite.
Tubing Example: Wall thickness=.062 3.5-(.062x2)=3.376 ID:)

Thanks Mike, that does help, but I am also looking for the dimensions of the tubing that is used for the air intake. Magnum Powers tube as an example. Some guy on EBAY has a kit he sells using plastic pipe, and basically I am looking into fabricating something similar to the MP tube K&N setup without the markup value. Know what I mean? Having acess to aluminum/stainless tubing/piping, just kind of looking at different options. So the OD of the MP tube would be helpfull, and also wether of not that is to be used for a certain sized MAF ie: 70mm or 75mm...
Thanks,
Tom :)

The MP tube is 3.5" OD and the ZR tube is 3" OD with about the same wall thickness.

The MP 3.5" tube matches up well with the MP 85mm TB and several larger MAF sizes, the most popular being a Pro-M 87mm bullit and 90mm LMAF. Using a smaller TB or MAF requires special connections that are 3.5 on one end and 3.0 on the other or a rubber spacer to take up the slack.

The ZR 3" tube works well with a stock or up to 75mm TB and stock or up to a 76mm MAF using the supplied 3" ID connections.

David

Thanks Mike, that does help, but I am also looking for the dimensions of the tubing that is used for the air intake. Magnum Powers tube as an example.Didnt you say the MP tube was 3.5"?

Some guy on EBAY has a kit he sells using plastic pipe,Pipe is sized differently, it goes by ID. In other words a 3.5" tube will have a smaller ID than a 3.5" pipe. Do you see what I'm getting at?

I am looking into fabricating something similar to the MP tube K&N setup without the markup value. Know what I mean? Having acess to aluminum/stainless tubing/piping, just kind of looking at different options.Sure I know what you mean. I'm building all new IC tubes,air intake tube and front mount IC for nothing, no $$$. Skills come in handy!

So the OD of the MP tube would be helpfull, and also wether of not that is to be used for a certain sized MAF ie: 70mm or 75mm...
Didnt you say the MP tube was 3.5"? That would be the OD. As far as sizing the tube for your MAF or throttle body I would make the tube at least the same size as the MAF. Let me put it this way because I dont know what size throttle or MAF you have. You dont want the tube ID smaller than either 1 of those components but you dont want to make it alot larger either, alittle bit larger is fine but I would'nt go alot larger. ;)

The 3 inch MP cold air tube is smaller than the 76mm MAF and
the 75mm throttle body.A 3inch MP will slid inside of either.

randy

Thanks guys!
Sorry for letting some of that go over my head Mike(It isn't hard for that to happen;))
Mike, do you care to share any of your custom tubing secrets? ;)
I have stock MAF and stock TB, but in the near future plan on increasing all of that. First I need to find a 4x4 for the winter, then I'll know how much $ i'll have left over, then I'll do my exhaust, MAF, TB, etc.... So I'm basically trying to research right now, so that when the time comes, I can knock these things right off my punch list with no fooling around.
Any extra input you may have regarding the IC tube setup you have would be helpful too. I'd like a fromt mount IC, but can't afford it, and may do a double, or at the very least throw on a fan there.....but that's at the end of the list, but it wouldn't hurt to start thinking about it.
Than you again for the help fellas,

Tom

Mike, do you care to share any of your custom tubing secrets? No secrets really. I make my living as a Pipefitter,welder and mechanical fabricator and would be glad to help you in any way. The feild is vast and large so you will have to ask qeustions on the subjects you want info on or else I may be talking about alot of stuff you care nothing about. I work with most metals and alloy's as well as plastics,resins and glass. Just ask away.

I have stock MAF and stock TB, but in the near future plan on increasing all of that.Then I would plan for the new stuff to work in conjunction with whatever MAF and throttle body you plan to go with. After installing the new MAF and throttle I would then install your new air intake tube.

Any extra input you may have regarding the IC tube setup you have would be helpful too. I'd like a fromt mount IC, but can't afford it, and may do a double, or at the very least throw on a fan there...As far as the IC tubing goes I decided to front mount the IC so I had to get the tubes to run up front. This is not as complicated as it sounds however to do it in an efficent maner I need to change some things up front. Most of this project is worked out but I need to aquire 1 more part to pull it off. I'm installing a large alluminum radiator since my IC will no longer be in the way but I need to get one of the shorter AC condensers so I will have room to run my IC tubes into the nose of the car, its really not a big deal I just need to get the AC condenser to do it. Without doing that I would have to run the tubes under the rad support and that was just too low for my liking. My IC tubes will be routed differently as well in order to get them away from all the heat inducing parts I can. Meaning I will be able to change plugs in a more normal fashion on the drivers side. My tubes will be easy to remove(about 5 minutes) and will not have any problems with sealing them up like with the stock tubes. Of course the end tanks on the IC will be fabricated much differently than the stock ones.(thats what kills the stock IC, the end tanks and the placement of the IC in the engine compartment)

I'm installing a large alluminum radiator since my IC will no longer be in the way
What is the radiator your going with?
My IC tubes will be routed differently as well in order to get them away from all the heat inducing parts I can. Meaning I will be able to change plugs in a more normal fashion on the drivers side. My tubes will be easy to remove(about 5 minutes) and will not have any problems with sealing them up like with the stock tubes.

Ahh yes!! That is exactly what I set out to do! It seems simple in theory, like you said, but I am not a pipefitter! I am however trying to see if it is possible to obtain some pipe(tube) that may be precut/bent, or at least cutable/bendable, and route just the way you plan on. Similar to Dave Neiberts engine. The rubber makes SO MUCH more sense than that spanner nut/cupling bogus nonsence!
Of course the end tanks on the IC will be fabricated much differently than the stock ones.(thats what kills the stock IC, the end tanks and the placement of the IC in the engine compartment)

Exactly. After reading about the bird, and driving it, I came to see the major flaws in Fords good ideas, and would love to be able to put them to better use.
I make my living as a Pipefitter,welder and mechanical fabricator and would be glad to help you in any way. The feild is vast and large so you will have to ask qeustions on the subjects you want info on or else I may be talking about alot of stuff you care nothing about. I work with most metals and alloy's as well as plastics,resins and glass. Just ask away

Boy! If I could just get my hands on some of your tools I'd be all set lol! If I may, I'll shoot you a PM when I have time....I'd love to pick your brain a bit. Thanks again,
Tom

Back