How to lube TV wire?

vettewars

I have an auto that sat most of the summer...couldn't get to fix the air in it....

On the drive in today...it was obviously not shifting right...
the TV wire is crudded up.....I stopped and yanked on it about 50 times and then it started retracting...but it still about a 1/4 inch of cable is visible.

I hear the mechanism down at the trans...is that exposed?....can it or the cable be lubed?....is there a spring mechanism to decrud or replace?

Have you tried some WD-40 or similar solvent/lube down the TV cable? You might look into finding where it meets the transmission and see if it can be pulled out and worked with down at the tranny.

I took a look at my TV cables and the way there made its just about impossable to lube them. The cable slides in a teflon jacket that is intalled inside the outer housing. The jacket even comes out of the outer housing and covers the bare cable. You might could try an old motorcycle trick.
Disconnect the cable at the throttle. Take a large plastic baggy and cut one corner out of it.(just enough to get the cable stuck inside) Once you get the cable inside the baggy wrap duct tape around the baggy and the outer housing to seal it up. Wire the cable into a posistion so that the cable is sticking straight up. Now pour some oil into the baggy and let it set overnite and the oil will flow down inside the cable and come out the other end.
Your cable will be well oiled then.
In case I lost you there what you are basicaly doing is making a funnel with the baggy that the cable is sticking up into. The baggy then holds oil and directs it right into the cable.

Since you TV cable is hanging up you really should'nt drive the car until you get it fixed. The problem you are having is causing the TV pressure inside the tranny to be wrong for the application. That will burn your tranny up QUICK!!!! It doesnt take much at all to fry the tranny with the TV cable acting up.
You may just want to buy a new one, thats what I did.
TV cables are much cheaper than new tranny's.;)

Replacing the cable is easy just disconnect the throttle end and unbolt the little bracket that holds the cable at the throttle, then do the same thing at the tranny end.
The tricky part is resetting the TV pressure. You need a pressure gauge that reads 0-60 psi to set the TV pressure properly.
If you dont want to go through the trouble of doing it yourself you may want to get a tranny shop to do it. Should'nt take them more than an hour to do the job.

Back