*Need Help Changing W/Pump*

SCYALTR

Hello Boyz,
I am in need of some help from you guyz.
I need to change my water pump and need to know what method is the least trouble.
I just changed valve cover gaskets last night and I hope it will not be as much work;)
Any info would or will be helpful.
Thanks,
D Rainer

water pump

question is ..do you have a power streering pump pulley puller or not..

reason being ..there's a bracket from the power streering /altenator assembly... that connects to the water pump via 2 /15mm nuts....which has to be removed to get water pump off ... removal of the power streering pulley ...makes access to the 2 brackets bolts and 1 nut ...on the head ... easy to get at..then the 2 /15 mm nuts on the water pump... slide the bracket out of the way ..to pull water pump....

It can be done without a pulley puller ...but is a real pain in the a$$ getting the one nut ....off the stud holding the power streering pump/altenator bracket to the head ...outside that ..it's an easy job ...just loosen the bolts that hold the pulley to the water pump with the belt still connect ...that should stop it from turning and let you get some torque on it ....dave

If you had kept tha tbird out of the water you might not have needed a water pump.

Just kidding!!!!! Nice picture!!

R910

My $0.02

I have pulled all the accessories off the front of my SC's engine numerous times (three broken balancers, replacing engine mounts from the front, etc.). I have yet to pull the power steering pump pulley. I just disconnect the lines from the pump and pull the pump, pulley, and accessory bracket out as a unit. May not be the "correct" way to do it, but I haven't had any problems from the pump so far. (Just be sure to have something ready to plug the lines or you will get PS Fluid everywhere.)

Thanks

Hello,
Thanks for all of the info guyz.
I'll have to get to it this weekend.

Thanks,
D Rainer

Autozone will loan you a power steering pulley puller. I think of it as fairly essential, so I just bought one myself for $30 or so. I also have the peace of mind knowing the threads are not mangled from misuse. Thats about the only part of the job which involves any special tools. Just be sure you run a tap through the threads before reinstalling the bolts and do not overtighten them 10 lbs tops.... if anything, undertighten them as the metal is soft.

Back