old to new gas tank conversion

flyinsc1

I have a 91 sc and want to convert over to the newer style gas tank. Could someone please tell me waht all I would need to get out of a junk yard to do the conversion. Tank straps, fuel lines , hangers. or anything I dont know about. Thanks ,Mike.

I just got one of those 2 weeks ago. All you need is the tank. But if your new tank is from a reg Tbird you will need to change the fuel pump. You can either get a new 190LPH pump or swap your SC pump in its place.:)

EDIT: Almost foregot you will have to change the rear section of your exhaust to the newer style as well.

Last edited:
One of the retention straps is different as well. Don't recally which one, so you'll want those from the newer tank as well.

Thanks for mentioning that Mike. I had'nt noticed anything different about the straps. I'll check that out.:)

old to newer tank

It is your passenger side strap you will need to take with the newer tank, the other side... after unbolting it is in between the tank and the metal shielding, so it will be still attached.

Everything else will swap, oh... I do remember having to swap the connector which is part of the power feed to the sending unit. mine was small and the one on the later model one was bigger. At least it was on mine. You'll find out when you plug it in. Just swap out the connector then it that time.

and yes... You will also need to get the rear half of the exhaust as well cause the older one will not work. It is more through the center of the car, rather than curve towards the left side of car.

Thats all! Good luck in your hunt.... good price is 40 to 50 bucks, keep that in mind.

Jeff B.

To anyone who wants a 92+ tank:

I have a few in stock for $50, but will not ship them. I'm located near St. Louis, MO, and I will also be at the SC Shootout this month. My email address is rodsv6cougar@cs.com

-Rod

I know I'm missing something here......

Why change the tank? I thought the later tank was smaller.

Lee

The two tank styles are the 89-91's and the 92-97's. The tank's capacity didn't get any smaller. The reason for using a 92+ tank is to allow better routing for the exhaust. The 89-91's had the exhaust run toward the side of the car (more bends, harder to use large diameter pipe, etc), where as the 92+ tanks ran the exhaust down the middle (fewer bends, easier to use large diameter pipe).

-Rod

I haven't actually measured the capacity, but the later style is listed as one gallon shy of the early model. That would be 18 gallons vs. 19 gallons.

Back