Courts of NJ - Screwed

Billabong089

Ok so I went to court , sat for four hours... but thats besides the point...

I got two tickets, one for being out past curfew ( I'm a provisonal driver 17yrs old ) but I was coming home from work and the other was Obstruction of view ( sunglasses hanging down )... The cop said he cut me a break becuase I got pulled over for doing an illegal u-turn. Well the provisonal ticket was a court required one, so I plead not guility. The cop actually showed up and the prosecutor and cop talked to me, he was like " Why would you come to court and plead not guiltiy when I cut you a break and saved 3 points from your license etc etc.... and I replied, well it was a court required appearance,and the cop was " Oh I wouldnt have given you that, thats fuc*king stupid " and I brought up the point I was coming home from work and I was like yea I read it was ok to come home from work past curfew, the cop was like no I never heard that and the prosecutor said that too, but I was infact right, contacted the DMV and asked them, but that was after I changed my non guility to guiltiy plea. The cop was like alright do you just want to pay the fines and get the hell out of here, I was like yea.

So two hours later they call me up, the judge goes you plead guility , I was like yea...

I go to pay the two tickets, $270!!!!!!

Get this, the provisonal thing is $100 and the obstruction of view is listed as $44, but no I got charged $103 for each violation plus two $30 court fees.... TWO COURT FEES? I never heard such a thing, I feel so like screwed over and the prosecutor never told me she was going to raise the fines or anything. what should I do? Just give up, it just really bothers me because I feel like I got screwed over or the lady who rang up the tickets screwed up, I was like are you sure and she was like yea, she didnt even double check or anything.

I dunno, and on top of that, when I went to the tranny place to get my trans swapped out with my new rebuilt one, I was informed I needed a new clutch, pressure plate, slave cylinder ,etc... so thats costing me under $1000 + $850 for the trans.... and now $270, I'm in so much debt, and its all because of this damn car, I HATE CARS! :-D

So you lawyer/legal ppl give me some advice plz ;)

why in the world would you plead guilty to a 100+ ticket when the DMV said it was ok. That was not a very good move.

well this is after the fact, I looked into it more, you need a letter with you from your place of employment in the car incase u get pulled over but still....

Unfortunately you just got a lesson in government. At least it's only money, could've been a lot worse.

This sort of thing is why elections matter.

Billabong. .. Here's a good piece of advice:

Call to Trenton's main MV office & tell them you would like to dispute the ticket. They provide you with a date & time to go in and tell them why you are disputing. Then when they overturn the judges decision (and yes, they can do that) you get your money back. Don't stop now, this should be the lesson in government you are learning. There's always a back door.

And for anyone in NJ. When you have like 10 points or more, you can dispute a couple of tickets, even way after the fact, and there is no cop or prosecutor that has to show up. Just you and the MV person. And the MV person has the final say as to whether or not take some of those points away. You have to give a good story though. Like you want to become a truck driver to feed your triplets while the mother of them left you to goto Guadalupe. It happens all the time.

Good Luck,
Anthony

Back