this tight steering i felt...

darkstar_one

hey hey... well yesterday i was racing this CIVIC '89 (fake) on the freeway... well after i hit 100+ MPH on the freeway... the steering went super tight. it felt scary at first cuz i thought probably my BELT ripped apart you know. It almost felt like FORMULA 1 style steering you know. That extra tightness.

Its normal right for the steering to act like this after hitting 100+ MPH?

Above approx. 85 mph, the power assist is gradually bled off, to give you more steering feel when you're breaking the law. ;)

This is part of the auto-ride system, tied in with the electrically controlled shock absorbers.

Many other Ford / Lincoln Mercury products have that type of steering by itself, there is an 'EVO' valve (electronic variable orifice) on the steering pump to make this happen.

cheers
Ed Nicholson
SCCoO

Ed is the variable steering assist stand alone? Meaning will it still work even though you have deleted the ARC system?:)

Mine still works, and I have non-ARC shocks on the car. It is part of the total suspension and steering package that Ford engineered into the cars, but the variable assist works on it's own. I'm not sure though if it's controlled through the ARC computer, we never pulled that out of my car. Maybe Mr. Duffy Floyd could answer that one ... :)

cheers
Ed N.

Thats good! Ed since you already went with non ARC shocks could you tell me a little bit about your experiance with your new set up? Which shocks are you using and how do you like it?
I'm considering the Bilstiens or the Koni's and am undecided about which ones I want to use.
What about springs? I really do not want to drop the ride height on the car but am unsure how the stock springs may work with the Bilstiens or Koni's. Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.:)

Mike, we had previously installed the Eibach Pro-Kit springs with Tokico Illumina II shocks about 4 years ago in my SC. For the first couple of years, it was good, decent ride and handling, a bit soft when I used Hoosier road-race radials for open-track events, but I expected that. Ended using the 'firm ride' setting about 95% of the time, the ride was that good even with 255-45 tires on the car. After about 55,000 miles, the Tokicos were pretty much whooped, especially the rears ... car was very floaty in high speed turns. So late last summerl we swapped the Konis into the rear, since they're an easy job to do in the back. Much better, but the front Tokicos were getting soft too. So this springs we did the Konis in the front, I'm pleased with the result. If I leave them set about 1 to 1-1/2 turns off full soft, it rides quite well. A bit more, the ride gets a bit stiffer, but the car handles better as well. For open-track events, they get turned up to full hard, and now they are stiff enough to handle the body lean from the grip generated by the sticky track-only tires. I had thought about trying a set of the linear rate Suspension Techniques springs in the car, maybe just the fronts, since they are stiffer than the Eibach set for our cars. Ran out of time to grab them before installing the front Konis this year however.

A few of the SCCoO members have the Bilsteins and are pleased with them, as are many of the U.S. members I've seen post on these forums. From what I've heard, the valving on the front ones might be a touch soft. You can save yourself some $$ for Bilsteins by using 2003 Mustang Cobra rear hocks bought direct from Ford, they are supplied by Bilstein, and they can be bought for about $40 US each ... they are close enough to bolt in, and they are valved for 600 lbs./in. springs for the coupes, and 500 lb. springs on the ragtops, so you can match those up with your choice of springs in the Bird. With stock springs, the Bilsteins are probably the way to go. I went with the Koni shocks mainly from having good prior experience with that brand in my Fox-body 5.0 Mustang that became a track-only car, and also because of the adjustability, for playing with them at the dragstrip and open-track events.

cheers
Ed N.

I've kissed 100mph...

I've gone 100mph before and I've never felt the "formula 1" steering from my car. In fact to my senses, the steering feels the same as it does at low speeds...

Doesn't putting the switch in "firm" position clamp the EVO valve down? Or is that only a 90mph and up thing....

And if that is the case, is there a way of having the valve programmed to clamp down sooner, like at say 50mph?

I am pretty sure only the earlier models have this speed sensitive steering. I am sure someone will know more and post a reply about it. I don't think the 94-95's have it.

I know mine does. It just feels a bit stiffer at high speeds to me but actually seems to respond quicker. I was at around 110..on a road outside the territorial boundries of the United States...:rolleyes:...and it almost feels like it locks itself in place. On a side note ,Careful if you ever replace your PS pump when you remove the EVO valve it's easy to bend..

The first day I had my car, I was doing aroound 140-145 (and still pulling on the Acura I was racing, 2.73 rocks) and the handling just got crisper and more fluent. I felt safer doing 120+ than going regular highway speeds.

Back