Ported Exhaust Manifolds (?'s)

ThunderCoupe94

Does anyone know where i can get some? I dont have the money for headers right now so i want to port my manifolds for now til i can afford em. I cant find anything about anyone who can do this. Let me know if you or you know someone who can help me. Thanks for your help

Jay

From what I've seen and heard, Tbird88 does an excellent job of porting the stock manifolds. I also port them when I have the time, but I haven't had a chance to port any sets lately.

-Rod

TBird88

I emailed Wayne a few times with no response as of yet and its been about a month or so now. I am tryin to get a price.. then i will go from there. Thanks for the reply.

Jay

Here's a good trick. The biggest part of porting the stock manifolds is opening up the collectors. 2" is as big as you should go. Get a dremel or a drill(will take longer) and some good grinding stones and grind off edges from inside of the collectors. Once you think you have it just about all done get a sanding drum, 1 7/8"-2" and slide it in to round it out and smooth it out. At this point you can either set someone to snadblast it inside and out for around $20 and then coat them yourself for like $20 at this place http://www.techlinecoatings.com/articles/Coating_Exhaust_Manifolds_Article.htm

or send them to jet hot to have them done, about $150. It will be pretty trick then.

P.S. I also have a set that I will be getting rid of but I am not sure how long this will be. Maybe a month or so.

P.P.S. Coating is optional

Last edited:
dont be misled

hey, if you are a first timer dont go off and do them thinking its gonna be easy and you are gonna do it ok. You have to be extremely careful not to take too much off. You want to try more and smooth everything down. It could take up to or even over 6 hours per head if you are just starting off so be prepared to spend some time on them. You may also want to do the intake manifold.

Why not get a muffler shop to do it when you open up your exhaust?When I had my system done ,it took about 15 min for the tech to port both manifolds using a carbide grinding tool.

For $130 with shipping, It's hard for anyone to beat what Wynn can get done unless you are afraid of trying to get the manifolds off.

He shot peens them, puts new studs in them, cleans up the seams as bosses and:

(1) Collector ported to 2" in diameter.
The full length of the collector is opened, the final i.d. is actually a "fat" 2in. up to and including the EGR/O2 fitting area. This goes way past just removing that notorious "lip" inside the flange.
Original diameter of the collector is 1 11/16" so it's easy see how much better the engine can breathe with 2" collectors (a full 5/16" increase in diameter over stock).
My port work increases the original area of under 2 1/4 sq.in. to just over 3 1/8 sq.in.

Now the benefit of this has yet to be verified in HP numbers(maybe I'll try a before and after dyno run next spring) but it certainly is more work than you could do with a dremel from underneath with the manifolds attached. And his price is right.

But yes, you can give it a try yourself as well. Others have done so quite easily but you have to be patient. You can't just go crazy with them because while some areas are quite thick, there are some thin areas you have to look out for. At least that is what I understand from what others have posted.

Back