PDA

View Full Version : Harsh Downshifting @ Highway Speeds

supercharged
09-17-2003, 09:22 PM
~~~ is acting up again and it's coincidental too.
got new tires saturday ok keep that in mind
I noticed on the highway two days later that the car seems too downshift and the RPM's jump. (95 auto rebuilt tranny 1 year ago.)
no noise grinding or clunking, I have the push button OD
its like flying down the highway in OD and pressing the button to go back in to drive?
please help I dont wanna think this is mechanical but it seems that it will probibaly be, or could it be a ****** TPS hopefully????

MIKE 38sc
09-17-2003, 10:06 PM
With that tranny it very well could be any of the solenoids on the valvebody or various sensors on the engine causing your problems. One thing I can tell you for sure is that if you keep driving the car with the tranny doing that, You WILL have mechanical problems with it very soon and then you will be looking for a new tranny again.
Get it to a shop now.;)

EDIT: Pull the codes out of the comp first and post your codes.
But stop driving the car.

cudaz101
09-18-2003, 01:57 AM
On my 94auto...I was lucky..I cleaned the filthy connections to the position sensor "Or whatever it is called" on the tranny and it stopped doing what you described. Regardless if you have to change it, I am pretty sure it is not that much trouble or money to replace.

And I dunno if it send a code, I know I never got one...But that don't mean chit...

Brad

supercharged
09-18-2003, 05:56 PM
pulled the codes this morning - no new ones. i always get OD switch not detecting switching , but thats because you have to phisically press the button during the test, i got an appointment for monday morning if its another 2k to fix then the hell with it.
i already rebuilt the lower end of the motor has 15k on it, had a new rebuilt tranny installed 1year ago-
so if its a new tranny then for sale she goes
95 pearl white auto full leather, new tires, plugs, msd wires, new motor mounts, new gaskets bottom to top, all new belts hoses,
new short block, brakes 2 years old, dont leak a drop of ANYTHING
holds radiator fluid consistantly, change the oil every month, let me know [email protected] Ive just had it with the car got over 10k invested and i aint gonna make it 12K. got lots of pics of the engine during rebuild, and the car its self
3500 to a good home. Bob Chandler of Bigfoot 4X4 owned the car originally and i bought it off him 2 years ago.

MIKE 38sc
09-18-2003, 07:32 PM
WOW your pretty upset.....well I can understand that.
Look just let the shop take a look and let them tell you what they think is wrong. Dont agree to to have anything done yet.
Come back and post your findings maybe we can figure it out.
If you go into the shop acting like your a dummy about tranny's they WILL take you for a ride.
Youve mentioned this little OD button thingy you have. Whats that all about? Is that some aftermarket thing? When you had your tranny rebuilt what did you have done to it?
What year SC are we talking about.

supercharged
09-18-2003, 08:42 PM
who knows with trannsmissions. you gotta be a voodo doctor to know what the hell the problems are. even then the shops can tell you what ever they want too. their trained to lie to us.
i have a 95 auto the push button "thingy" is the stock button that manualy turns OD on and off. at least on the 95 auto it does dont know about other years, and im beyond upset, im throwing in the towel, if the ****n ~~~ is deemed buy the god damed shop that it needs a rebuild, ill go to 2 shops if they say the same thing, then at least ill know if they were taught at the same school, or wether or not they put me in the right direction?and honestly who really knows what and how a transmisssion even operates

cudaz101
09-18-2003, 09:28 PM
Did you read my response to your problem? Before I started assuming that the tranny is toast I would be checkin' the simple stuff...My car did the same thing...Kickin' down the hwy. and all the sudden it goes out of OD and in Drive, therefore the R's go up but nothing that is gonna do any damage...

I was told to get under the car and look at the tranny and find my position sensor. I think it is the manual position sensor "I am surprised you have not gotten more help on this KNOWN Problem" and check for connection problems, if there are none then it takes all of a few minutes to pull it and replace it with a new one. Mine as mentioned above was a bad connection.

So....I think if you sell your car someone will be getting a heck of a deal...

Take another look...

Brad

MIKE 38sc
09-18-2003, 09:41 PM
There you go Supercharged, cudaz101 has the same tranny you do. I would listen to him, sounds like he's been down this road too. I dont know allot about the electrics on a 4R70W he would be much better at this than I.
cudaz101 I'm suprised no one has offered ant help either. I geuss everybody's complaining about AOD's most of the time. LOL!!!:)

2 Hot 2 Handle
09-18-2003, 10:36 PM
You have your answer "supercharged", I back up Cudaz on this one!
My 94 SC with the R470W (94 Auto Trans) did the same thing after being rebuilt. Just as you say your is doing...it will get worse....REPLACE the MLPS.......Thats the external sensor on the side of the tranny...all will be well once again.
I got one from FORD for about $100... without it your trans dosen't know what gear it should be in, and it will eventually eat itself...leading to an unneccesary rebuilt, again!
This sensor is prone to get moisture inside it leading to failure!
Good Luck!

supercharged
09-19-2003, 05:15 AM
Cudaz, Mike, 2hot 2 handle, yes i think you guys have something here- with saturday coming, ill jack the car up and get under it , locate this sensor, clean it , try that , is their anyway to test it to know for sure if its bad? would i get anycodes if it were bad or out of range?, cause im not pulling anycodes right now? are their any sensors or things that i can test for? before turning the car over to the butchers? this all happened the day after i took my car to DOBBS tires? to get new tires. its my theory, that they took my car on a "TEST" drive, and rompt the **** out of it.anyway, you guys the feedback you give me is money kept in my pocket, i appreciate ALL advice- and will be under the car saturday morning- please let me know if i can test for something down there, and cudaz, i hope that stands for the 70 AAR HEMI CUDA. love that car---- thanks

cudaz101
09-19-2003, 12:27 PM
First, I don't know of a way to test the sensor although I am sure there is a way to do it with a multi-meter. Regardless, if the connection looks bad enuf to merit a good cleaning that could be your problem, it could even just need re-seated, ya just never know with elec. parts. It should rear its head for you if this does not clear up the problem. So you know what to do if reseating/cleaning the connections does not do the trick...

I have always wanted a cuda. I was gonna buy one and decided to put the money towards retirment instead...Soooo, maybe some day...

Brad

supercharged
09-20-2003, 02:20 PM
exactly what is the mlps?
its not in the book i have i got under the car this morning checked the electrical connector and lubed the lingage down there allittle,
lowered the car checked the neutral start switch was fine,
checked the throttle valve cablike the book says poped that off then took the clip out lubed that pushed it in and out like the book says, put the clip back on and noyiced that it stuck out a little further then when i took the clip off- drove for 2 hours 1 of them was highway and it didnt do it anymore so i dont know what to think just yet it seems fine now though.

cudaz101
09-20-2003, 06:40 PM
Well re-seating the connection may have been the fix for you. But if it rears its head again I would change the MLPS no questions asked. BTW, the MLPS stands for Manual Lever Position Sensor "Or at least I am pretty sure that is the name"...I am also pretty sure that it is the only elec. component on the tranny body on the drivers side. It should be no surprise that your book does not mention it since most books are pretty inferior to most of the knowledge and experience there is floating around here. TBSCEC has or had a list of all the acronyms that fors came up with for sensors and misc. other parts. It should be available here soon since the merge, as well as many depths of other information. I myself made me up a binder with all the information that I thought would come in handy, and I keep it in my car with me. It is much better than any manual I have for the car. I am sure their is a manual out there that are far superior to all else though.

Again, good luck with solving your problem. I hope you get to keep your 100bux and enjoy your car. I would assume that you are prolly not selling now??:D

Cheers

Brad

supercharged
09-20-2003, 08:30 PM
the book that i have calls the button on the side of the tranny the nuetral starter sensor. but regardless it seems to be a oka but i could still sell

cudaz101
09-21-2003, 02:26 AM
These cars require a certain kind....

Cheers

Brad

ma351c
10-19-2003, 12:51 AM
Sounds like the tranny is sorted out but you said you may still sell... You mentioned 3500 in the heat of the moment, what do you say now... how about some pictures and car info. and your location with the reply, I'd like to see her even if youre going to keep her... And yes, CUDAZ101, like you, I'm that kind.