Help!!!!!!!! :o)

Damon I have a set in the shop I can measure for you.
How do you want them measured?
From end to end of the splined shafts or from shoulder to shoulder?
Do you need the mesurement of the splined shafts at each end also?
Tell me exactaly what you need and I'll post them later.:)

Hey Mike if you can get from shoulder to shoulder that be great...

By shoulder you mean right where it goes into cv joint correct?

Well when I say shoulder to shoulder I mean from the flat surface that would be against the hub bearing and the pumpkin housing.
Is that what you mean?
Like the overall lenght minus the 2 splined shaft lenghts.

Last edited:
DamonSlowpokeBaumann said:
I need stock shaft lenght on our halfshafts..Thanks:O)

Sorry, but the weather this past weekend didn't cooperate with me getting under the car in my driveway. If you don't get what you need by tomorrow night, let me know, and I'll get the measurement from the pumpkin to the inner hub on both my cars Saturday morning.

Here you go, from the Ford manuals:

halfshaft.jpg

Damon if you were needing the measurement between the faces of the CV's that measure ment is 24.25"
I wasnt really sure how you wanted them measured.
Maybe this will help you.
You still trying to source some axles?

This is from the 1999 Cobra Manual, it's the end to end length.

General Specifications Item Specifications
Halfshaft assembled length 817.6 mm (32.19 in)

So if we can get the overall length of the SC shafts, we'll know the difference.

Doug this just in

Here is the general status of what we have going.

Ther are no Tripod inboard joints avaialalbe for any Ford vehicles. Your picture is of this
tripod design.

I do have a limited availalbity of both 28 and 31 spline inner joints of a 6 ball plunge joint
design welded to the "stem". Both units have the 28 spline for the inner race "star" as some
call it.

There are no wheel end joints availalbe.

The unit that is planned for the Lincolns and >2000 Cobras are slightly larger in diameter
than 116 mm ( 4.56 inch). Is there still room for this diameter joint. These are only 31 spline
inner joints - no plans to do 28 spline items.

The first Cobras are now moved back to the 3rd week in October due to inboard joint flange
production problem. It would appear at this time that I would not be able to do specials
until early to mid-November.

Check you diameters and see if the new joints will even fit your car and we can discuss
further.

Wow, for an engineer, his messages sure are cryptic.

I still maintain that any joint that will fit a Cobra, will fit an SC.

I'm going out to the garage this morning to work on my cars. I'll get some measurements on my Stage III GKN Cobra shafts, and take a look at the clearance issue.

Measured my GKN Stage III's.

ABS Ring diameter is 4.5" so I don't see any problem with the 4.56" joint he's planning to make.

Overall length 31.25"

Measured as cougarsc posted - 27.125" a difference of 1.315"

I don't see an accurate way to measure from the outside of both CV joints, as the inner joint doesn't have a surface that butts up against anything, but I came up with 21.75"

I think the GKN's are a little shorter than the stock Cobra shafts.

If it was up to me, I'd tell them to make the SC shafts 1.3" longer than the Cobra shafts, and that's about what I remember the difference being when I first compared the SC and Cobra shafts way back in 1999.

Or, make sure they get the measurement cougarsc posted, and let them tell you how much longer they're are planning to make them. (From your post, sounds like you may have already done that:)

Last edited:
Thanks Daug..Hopefully I can get something worked out ASAP with fred..be nice to have a 312 spline heavier duty alternative

Back