neon srt-4

92redsc

i heard some people talking about the neon on this site saying it runs 13.7s stock. i dont think this is right because 1. its a FF car so not enough traction, 2. itsa turbo/intercooled I-4 thats making 205 aprox. flywheel HP and 245 aprox. flywheel torque thats not any thing compared to SCs. 3. i know they dont have a super low gear ratio (numericly high) because it has a top speed of aprox. 150 mph. but a torquer that will run that top speed almost has 50 ft lbs more torque and about the same HP that only runs 15.5s, im guessing that neon isnt runing much faster than 14.7s much less 13.7s any input? because if i could make my car that light and run 13.7s just have to figure out how to do it.

Guess again....there very quick cars

Car and Driver:
0-60- 5.6 seconds
1/4-14.1
weighs 2920lbs (about a 1000 less there our SCs)

215bhp at 5400 RPM
245lb-ft at 3200RPM

A really good driver could break 13s and simple mods has it runnin 13s easy I would think

As much as I hate to admit it...Its a fast f*cking car

I thought I remember reading somewhere that they were also under-rated. The mag I was reading(don't remember which one) Dynoed it at something like 210hp at the wheels!! Thats like 245 at the fly. Unless of course, dodge sent 'em a ringer:rolleyes:

so that means...

if you make a supercoupe that light, than stock it shold run low 14s???? how do you lighten as SC that much

Yea the Srt4 is alllot lighter than the sc, the sc will beat it off the line but then after that the neon will take control

They definatly are that fast, they are underrated, as said, putting down number at the wheels higher than what they are rated at the crank. I believe it also comes in at less than 3000 pounds, 5 speed manualy tranny, and 04s get a limited slip diff. up front and better tuning through teh PCM for even more power (factory rated at 230 HP, but actually????)

Brian

damn good traction for a front driver

those cars are all over the place here in northern ohio, it sucks!!! there are a lot of turbo cars around here too, norwalk raceway park in norwalk ohio has atleast 5 or more there on race nights. those lil cars hook up good!!!! i would have to think that the 60 foot times are better then our cars, **** man, lets not even talk about all the *******s who spent about a grand are are running high 12s and low 13s with these cars. havent even been able to afford some rims but got the 4 banger to run HIGH 12s

its a shame, turbo cars are cheap to mod, easy to mod, and most of em that are on the market are light as hell, accept for the AWD cars, but hey, what they lack in the "lightweight" dept, they make up for in traction and power.

thats why im just gonna drop a TITANIC load of money into my coupe and and blow their doors off with a 15year old car. that'll tame em!! haha

I actually went to test drive one just to see how powerfull it is and all i have to saw is WOW... that thing pins you in your seat all the way up to redline in all the gears, on top of that the handling is amazing, and the grip of the tires is amazing

seen one running street tires with JUST a cold air kit pull a 14.09@99mph with a 2.2 60ft in "bad" air. The corrected altitude that day was 2900ft, our track is at 1100ft.

be carefull before you think you could beat a SRT-4 Neon, i thought i'd give it a run, eVen with the few mods i did, that thing just pulled away from me..(i had 225/60's when i did, now i got 285/30/18) i stopped in 2nd gear because his rear end was about a little farther than my front bumper, that thing launched let me tell you, dam was i suprised for a front wheel drive car, i stopped racing due to a dam neon was beating me, but i'd like to race it at a track, becuase i have 3.73's and in a 5-spd i got better 3-4-5 gear pulling...1-2 shifting to quick and gears are to short.. i need more mods !!! i need to go to the track next year.. i want to see with a few more mods and my new tires how i will run... Alex LaChance

well guys...

ha ha, my friend just bought a 99 GT 5 speed with 30,000 miles (awsome huh) and we saw a srt4 running the streets. it had
lil-vipr on the plates so we knew he would race. his gt has sticky 245 nittos, a cool air, adn underdrives. thats it. haha we beat it by a full car length. we pulled into braums and that guy came in and he said he has a cool air on it. he was running 14.2s up here at 3300 ft. pretty fast for a fairly stock 4 banger, ill give him that, but i bet those engines wont last very long putting that much power through 4 cylinders. any way my friends gt runs 13.9s at 3300 ft. i almost wish i had got a mustang instead of this super coupe for my first car, as this car is giving me hell. i drove it for less than 3 weeks after i got it and the HGs blew. fixed that and got the cats fixed(3 more weeks) drove it 1 day and i want to hell. im still trying to figure out whats wrong with it. i think its the blower. well glad i spent 3200 on a car that i had to turn around and put 500+ dollars fixing it up and is still broken.

Dodge let me flog out an SRT4 at Willow Springs Raceway...that thing is flat out fast. It's also the best handling FWD car I've ever driven. You have to abuse it before it starts to understeer.

But, remember how much it costs, 21,000. How much did you buy your SC for? We'll say an average of 6,000. So if you went out and put 15,000 into your SC. How fast would you be goin then? I'd say at least 12's without N2O. And you would prolly have some big wheels on it too.

Chris

My friend has an 04 srt 4 and it is fast but, it's still a neon. The fit and finish doesnt even compare with my sc. We got into a little race and i pulled on him hard out of the hole and he gained a little but i'd say i had a few car links on him, but didn't get to the dragstrip with him yet, and it was from a slow roll so we didn't spin too bad.

I dont know your mods but a stock SRT would walk a stock or slightly modded SC.....There about a 14 second car stock and thats what im about at now with my car....and you can see all my mods

Dont think Imma neon lover now...just givin some respect where some respect is due, however, you have to question the long term reliablility of a car that cheap with that kinda performance...

Last edited:
Back