Heads question??

shotbirdsc

I recently blew my HG's took everything apart carefully and labeled everything-but I didn't label which head came from which side they have two differnt numbers on them 18 and 22. My question which one goes where? Or is this just a production stamp?

Thanks Eric

Yeah it makes a difference.

The one with the 18 on it is for the passenger side. The one with the 22 on it is for the driver side. Good Luck

DLF-You don't think it matters or you don't think that it's right 18 on pssg and 22 on drivers?

Stocker89-I really appreciate the reply and just want to make sure.

Well DLF Explain yourself.

They may be reversible. But from the factory the 18 is on the passenger side and the 22 is on the driver side. So If I want the block and the heads to go back together the best they possibly can. Naturally I would want to put the parts back in their correct place. If it was a winning formula before then it surly will be again unless of course the heads are warped.

I put ?? because I'd never heard of this before and I've swapped heads from side to side without issues.

It doesn't matter, particularily if you have decked the block and had the heads done like you should.

FWIW, My right head is stamped 17 the left 20.

Last edited:
Yeah DLF

That is strange about your #'s on your heads. I have two sets here. They both have a 18 on the pass and a 22 on the driver. But one of the 18s doesen't have SC on it anywhere. It is the the stock head. The other 18 and and both the 22s have SC stamped on them in two spots and still have The bar code stickers on them. Little details that were missed on the production line I am guessing.

Like DLF said, they are interchangable, either side is fine. Be sure to get them decked..don't just bolt them back on.

David

Both of my heads have 21 on them. More than likely this # is just a batch # of a casting run, but I dont know that for sure.
The most important thing is to putt all your valvetrain pieces back in the same place they come from if youre reusing them because those parts are worn in to each other.
In otherwords put your pushrod, rocker arm and rocker arm fulcrum back exactaly where they came from. The pushrod is worn to a particular lifter and rocker arm and so on and so on.
If youre using all new parts in the valve train then it does'nt matter.
:)

Back