Head Gaskets and Coolant

cp308

From what I have learned reading on the SCCOA site, I understand that the SC has a problem blowing head gaskets.

I also get the impression that many people believe that the coolant has something to do with it- supposedly the coolant becomes bad after a while and attacks the gasket.

Does anyone have some references to this I could look up and satisfy myself that this is a real phenomenon? I find it a little hard to believe- I'm not denying it, I would just like some documentation.

If it is the case that old coolant attacks the gaskets, is there a way to test the coolant for this problem? For example using litmus paper to see if it has become acid or caustic?

How often do you think the coolant should be replaced?

Is any brand / type better than others for this problem?

How about the prestone 5 year antifreze?

If it is the case that old coolant attacks the gaskets, is there a way to test the coolant for this problem?

Hey Chris

ANY Ford tends to start loosing its head gaskets after 100,000 miles. Some go alot longer some don't. The average life expectancy of stock ford headgaskets is 100,000. Sometimes you get a real good one sometimes you don't. I have owned many types of T - birds and yes HG's are usually and tend to be the first major problem. Just like any other car it depends on how you drive it. If you always run it hard have your foot in the gas and dump the clutch the HG's are not going to last as long. If you drive it easy then your motor will last longer... The best thing you can do is catch the problem early and fix it before you do unrepairable damage like warping the heads or bending rods or busting pistons. If you you continue to drive on bad HG's you will have to get a new long block. I have also read that about the Coolant and it is reccommended by Ford that you flush and change your coolant once a year. I have had many cars where I did not do this and did not have any problems. It wouldn't hurt to flush and change once a year.

People tend to post on internet sites when they have problems with the car. Also a lot of the people on internet sites are enthusiasts and are more likely to have modified their car, driven it hard, etc.

So if you form an opinion about the car from what you see on the internet, it will not be an accurate opinion. For everyone who blew a head gasket at 100,000 miles, there are probably several people (like me) who thrashed on the car daily, and raced it, and still had the head gaskets last 181,500 miles.

Changing the coolant is important. I would recommend staying with good old Prestone or equivalent ethylene glycol coolant, and changing it every couple years minimum. For what it costs it wouldn't hurt to change it every year.

Back