Couple of Questions

Blown95

Car: 95 SC Auto 143k

Q1: Changing plugs, hopefully tomorrow weather permitting. What do I torque them to? 20#s?

Q2: The power antenna started acting weird. Has a hard time going down. Sounds like a stripped gear or something. If I tap on the top of it, it goes down. Otherwise the motor runs for a ferw secs and then shuts off, with the antenna still up. I can also hear the gear sound after it goes up from the bottom position to the top position, and sometimes I have to go and pull on it; maybe an half inch or so and it goes up another 1-2" and stops in the fully upright position. What is the prognosis? New motor? any way to fix the current problem?

Thanks
Blown95

Blown95 said:
Car: 95 SC Auto 143k

Q2: The power antenna started acting weird. Has a hard time going down. Sounds like a stripped gear or something. If I tap on the top of it, it goes down. Otherwise the motor runs for a ferw secs and then shuts off, with the antenna still up. I can also hear the gear sound after it goes up from the bottom position to the top position, and sometimes I have to go and pull on it; maybe an half inch or so and it goes up another 1-2" and stops in the fully upright position. What is the prognosis? New motor? any way to fix the current problem?

Thanks
Blown95

You probably need a new mast. It has a plastic cable with teeth on it and I bet the teeth are stripped. Just take off the nut on top of the fender, pull out the mast, feed the new mast cable down into the fender and pull the new mast down with the switch on the dash. Replace the nut.

Mike Donley

Re: Re: Couple of Questions

MickeyD LX50 said:
You probably need a new mast. It has a plastic cable with teeth on it and I bet the teeth are stripped. Just take off the nut on top of the fender, pull out the mast, feed the new mast cable down into the fender and pull the new mast down with the switch on the dash. Replace the nut.

Mike Donley

So, can i just pick up the cable at a auto parts store, or is it a special order item from Ford?

Well, the mast and cable are one piece. You can get them from
Ford, but I belive many car stereo stores sell aftermarket masts.
Here is a link on Ebay:

Antenna Mast

Mike Donley

You might try taking some steel wool and polishing up the antenna.
It will make it easier to slide up and down.

Back