shocks

SC92

I am curious as to the going rate on a set of struts and shocks for the automatic ride. I would like to buy some new ones but if they are too outrageous I may go for a decent used set. Any ideas?

You can usually find the Tokico Illumina II set (all 4 shocks and new springs) for around $500. Shox.com, and a guy on ebay usually have them.

However I have heard from some guys who got the illumina II's that they wear out quickly, like in about 25k miles. Since my original shocks are still doing OK at 115k miles, I expect more that 25k from a set of shocks.

So I went to the Ford dealer to see about getting the original equiptment Tokicos. Fronts were $188 each, the rears were $182 each.

I'm still looking for shocks.

As Andy has said, the Illumina II, which are suppose to be about 25% stiffer, seem to wear out quick. At one time, Pep Boys could get the front OEM shocks cheaper then the dealer, but I don't know about now.

Most seem to be going to either Koni or Blistens instead of the Tokico. The Blistens are a direct fit front and back, while the Koni's front has to reuse the old front shocks shell. The rears are a direct fit. Mine are still the ones from the factory so I don't have a say on how either of the ones about are.

Back