all Cobra R's created equal???

nightcoupe

I'm considering 17x9 Silver Cobra Rs but have noticed several sources and what seems like several manufacturers. Are there some that are better than others and some to avoid?

Be sure you get the correct bolt pattern, which is 5 x 4 1/4 for a stock SC. Most of the wheels you're looking at use the 5 x 4 1/2 Mustang bolt pattern.

Also 17x9's may give you some problems depending on the year of your car and the size of the tire you use.

Search the site, read the FAQ's, this has been discussed once or twice before ;)

Ya, I got the bolt pattern info and tire stuff figured out. I just don't want an out of round wheel or one with other defects. I remember years ago someone was making replica Magnum 500s for old Mustangs and those wheels rarely ran true. I guess what I'm asking is if you have a 17x9 Cobra R and your happy, let me know who made it and where you got it if dont mind. Kind of like some Consumer Research on Cobra Rs...

Last edited:
this place has really cheap r's. They have a polished, not chrome set of 4, 17x9 r's for $690 shipped. Thats a great deal but you'll have to maintain the polished verison. They also offer chrome for a little more.

http://wheelsmarket.com/

Most of the 9" wide Cobra R replicas sold by various people are made by Dante. I got mine from them 3 years ago and have not had any problems.
I believe the wheels sold by wheelsmarket.com are Dante's.

A couple of comments about Dante Design versions. The wheel is cast actually for the Mustang pattern and then the holes for the wheel studs are drilled for the T Bird pattern. That results in the lug hole being offset in the recess in the wheel to the extent that you can't use a lug wrench on the lug nuts. 3/4" deepwell socket works fine. Also they do not sell the proper hub concentric rings to match the bore size of the wheel to the T Bird thus you will be running lug concentric instead of hub concentric unless you make your own. The difference is where the load of the wheel is being carried. Hub Concentric...on the hubs...Lug concentric on the wheel studs. The 92 I have had the wheels but I have no idea how old they are. The chrome is pretty bad on them now. Also I have a good amount of wheel weights on them to balance but I really don't know if it is a wheel problem or tire problem causing this.

Are hub concentric rings something the tire shop uses to mount the wheel/tire with more precision? Since I have never used one I guess I have always mounted lug concentric whenever I removed and reinstalled a wheel at home.

Any manufacturers out there that are better than Dante Design?

If the wheels have the same bore size as the hub then you don't need hub concentric rings. In the case of the Dante Design Cobra R's they are not the same size. I bought the ones I am using from George Davenport. They match the wheel bore size to that of the hub.

I have some that are made by Detriot Wheels. I bought them from a place called OE Wheel Outlet in Sarasota, FL. They seem to be a good rim. The only thing I noticed is that they are extremely heavy. Maybe they all are???

Thomas

Thomas,

I have those wheels.

Right on.

question are using the center cap supplied with the wheels. just wondering cause i don't like the snake. I wanted to get some SVT centercaps but, they don't fit.

they are nice wheels though. and yeah they do seem heavy, but i don't really have anything to compare to.

you can find the oe wheeldistributors on ebay.

jim

Back