Bad Ride - Shock Advice Needed

furpie69

Hey, This is my first post. What an awesome site. I have a 1995 SC that I purchased new. It has 67000 miles and has started to ride rough. I think that it needs new shocks. I would like some advice on replacing the shocks and maybe making the suspension a little racier in the process. Need any and all advice. Price not too big of a consideration. Would also bypass the auto ride control is necessary. Will consider lowering height of car up to 1.5 inches also. Please help.

Love to scoot in this car.

I have H&R springs (which are great) and Tokico Illumina II ARC Shocks (which are junk).

If I had it to do all over again, I'd get the H&R's again, but I'd go with Bilsteins instead of the Tokicos.

i agree that the tokico shox r junk--dont waste ur money on those
who is using the bilstein shocks? like em?
are they a direct bolt it fit?
for springs I think u need to decide if you want progressive rate or linear rate first
g/l

Greetings!

Hello, and welcome to the SCCOA!

The Tokico Illumina II shocks are the stock replacement shock for the Automatic Ride Control system in our cars. As the others have said, not many have good experience with these or the originals. Some experience that they wear out quickly, do not have a significant difference between soft & firm even in the newer model, & do not ride firm enough for some tastes. That being said, you do get to keep the ability to control these shocks electronically, a feature that only significantly more expensive aftermarket shocks have.

There are available numerous aftermarket shock absorbers for these cars, some of them individually adjustable via a knob or screw, some more utilitarian. This search should provide you with signficant information on others experiences with the various aftermarket brands, to help you make a good decision.

Good luck with your new Supercoupe, and enjoy the ride! :)

Last edited:
Back