95 SC ignition system

MadMike1331

I just got done changing out the spark plug wires on the SC and its got a real hard start and the engine vibrates a little when running. Also when i tap the gas the RPMs go down a lot before they go up. I thought I got 2 wires crossed up so i checked about 8Xs. Then i decided to see which cylinder was missing so i took the spark plug boot off the distibutor.
Now is this one of the systems that i cant do that or ill mess something up? Anyways i did it and itll still start so i dont think so but i dont know if i added to the problem or not.

-Mike

Plugs

Which plugs and wires did you use? These cars have issues with some brands of spark plugs & wires, especially the later models.

Motorcraft or Autolite Double platinum and Motorcraft or Magnacore wires traditionally offer the most reliable results for most members.

Others have had positive experience with NGK Iridium plugs & Tylor wires.

I used the motorcraft spark plug wires and for sparkplugs i got Champion double platinum.
I dont think its the plugs because ive been running on them for about 2 weeks with no problem. I just now got the time to do the spark plug wires today.

:confused: Did you do them one at a time, or pull all at once?
There are incorrect firing orders in some manuals.

I did them one side at a time. Unfortunatly i didnt do them one at a time due to the difficulty invoved accessing the spark plugs. I should have tried harder to do them one at a time now that its all done.
The chiltons manual has the order looking at the distributor box from the front of the car as follows:

Distibutor

engine
3 6
2 5
1 4

Last edited:
The engine is correct
but , try this

Dist

technically, it's a coil pack

Last edited:
Ill try that out tomorrow.
I think your right though because it acts like theres 2 switched but i must have checked them 8xs.
Yea i knew it wasnt a distubutor but i couldnt think of the name coil pack i thought it was but i wasnt sure. Too much time around older cars.
'Preaciate it.

chiltons actually has it this way i put it wrong up in the previous reply

Dist

-Mike

Last edited:
Back