Maf cleaning...afrterwards

orttbird

I'm a 97 4.6L v-8 T-bird owner looking for some help here.

I cleaned the MAF for the first time today...for the first time at 87,000 miles.
Both wires were gray- black-gunky with dirt, there was a cob web between them, and the 4 little mounting posts(?), which the 2 wires are attached to, were really dirty...although I don't use a K&N.

So, I had to spray the wires quite a few times before they looked clean. (I don't know how clean they should look, really). Where it was black earlier was clean and clear-silver-looking, the mounting posts were really shiny.

HOWEVER, the first wire (in direction of air flow) is still brownish/dirty looking on ONE side, the other side looks clean. (the 2nd wire looks clean everywhere)
I didn't want to spray elec.cleaner any more, and didn't want to use the q-tip yet, so I just left it, put it in and reset the EEC.
I noticed immediately smoother and quieter idle, and the car had more power, the really bad pinging is gone, and revvs easier, acccelerates faster. I still don't know if the EEC has already "relearned" yet. I drove more than 30 miles, but almost only highway.
However, I have a feeling it can be even better, 'cause that one wire isn't 100% clean yet.

1) What shall i do with that one still dirty side of the first maf wire?(the dirty side meets the air first)
=use carburetor/choke cleaner, which is stronger than electrical contact cleaner?
=or just use a q-tip with elec.cleaner?
=Would cleaning this wire further help my car further?or should i leave it alone?

I would appreciate if some MAF-experts can help me on this one.
Thanks in advance.

You may not get a large amount of change by cleaning further but should still clean it.

Get a lintless swab, used for electronics cleaning, to clean the wires. If the wire doesn't come clean easily with the swab, don't worry you have done the most you can do.

Aaron

Sounds like you did a good job, and got good results. Don't get greedy.

"Don't fix it if it ain't broke"

pastera said:
You may not get a large amount of change by cleaning further but should still clean it.

Get a lintless swab, used for electronics cleaning, to clean the wires. If the wire doesn't come clean easily with the swab, don't worry you have done the most you can do.

Aaron
---------------Aaron,

thanks for the reply/advice....
Where can get a lintless swab? at radioshack perhaps?

How often should I clean the maf from now on?

How long does it really take the EEC to 'relearn'?

Try this!

On all 96 and later model cars you can't reset the computer unless you clear the codes with a machine. OBD 2 systems require it so its not like the first Gen on board diagnostics. If your car is runing better, thats good but if you had a code come in because of the maf you'll have to clear it or it well remain.

Re: Try this!

hoffmandj said:
On all 96 and later model cars you can't reset the computer unless you clear the codes with a machine. OBD 2 systems require it so its not like the first Gen on board diagnostics. If your car is runing better, thats good but if you had a code come in because of the maf you'll have to clear it or it well remain.

Hmmm. The codes clear quite well on my 98 Cobra, just by pulling the EEC fuse.

Thanks

Well I'm not here to urgue with anybody, if thats the case then you've pulled your fuses a couple times. Is it the same codes that come up?

Re: Thanks

hoffmandj said:
Well I'm not here to urgue with anybody, if thats the case then you've pulled your fuses a couple times. Is it the same codes that come up?

No codes remain after the fuse is pulled.

Re: Try this!

hoffmandj said:
--------------

Thanks for all trhe responses.

I didn't have any codes before I cleaned the MAF, and i just wanted to erase the "old" KAM-memory. that's what I meant by resetting the eec. even after the cleaning i don't have any codes, and the car does run better.

so even then, do i i need to use a diagnostic tool, to erase the old memory (NOT CODES, I didn't have any)?

Pls. help.

SC4LIFE said:
What did you use to clean the maf?

Cheers,
Luke
-------------------------------
I used electrical conact cleaner/lubricant from Radioshack. didn't use q-tip, only sprayed..and then a few careful bursts of compressed air from a can to help dry quicker

Be very careful with cleaning the maf with sprays. Don't spray the full strength of the jet right at them too hard. These are just wires of a known resistance pulled tight between two posts. Like a light bulb filiment, they could break.

Radio shack may have them, any swab made to clean vcr or cassette heads would work as long as they are not the 'dry' cleaning type.

Aaron

Back