Widening OEM Alum. Wheels?

68COUGAR

Does anybody know a place that can widen OEM Alum. wheels?

Probably would involve cutting them in two, circumferentially, heli-arcing in a spacer, then heli-arcing the original inner part of the wheel back on.

Curious 68COUGAR

I've thought about it. Looks like they cut the center out and weld it into new blanks.

http://www.stocktonwheel.com/wheel_widening.htm

I just noticed their link discusses only steel wheels. You'd have to call and see if they can do aluminum.

Here is another link..

http://www.greensautomotiveltd.supersites.ca/tireswheels/

I like the stock wheels but would love to have a wider flange look in the rear. A nice 9" wide?
mojave%2Ejpg

Last edited:
There used to be a company in Michigan that did aluminum wheels.
They even had a picture of a 1988 turbo coupe wheel in their ad.
I looked around have not found the old magazine yet.

They may be out of buisness by now I will look some more.
I think it was in circle track.

randy

I didn't see that on Spike.. But I wish I had. Just curious how sucessful they are. Though I doubt they dug into it to heavy on any of those shows.

I've thought about it because I like the stock wheels look on the car, but I like the more dished look of older rear drive mag wheel styles. I like to see the rear track width emphasized.

I also like the style of the SC wheels, just wish there were a way to make them a little taller. Not a lot, perhaps an inch or two.

As it is, the tire profile has to be fairly high to reduce gap size in the fenderwell without lowering the car. Most aftermarket wheels have similar styling, and I've never seen one that I like as much on the SC as the stock rim.

I think white lettered tires would help with the look on a stock tire & rim profile.. this car seems to lend itself to taller tires more than others. Almost a new style 'muscle car' look.

The thing I'm always thinking of with bigger wheels is the extra unsprung weight. Yeah, wider would be heavier too. But 17" and wider 16" are likely the same. But those guys with 18+ wheels are paying for that extra weight.

I think the thing about the SC wheels is they have a directional look to them (some of them even are). Aftermarket wheels with a similar directional look I think would look good as well.

Back