SC runnin funny...high milage makeover time Ithink

Shooter_Jay

Hello,
I'm proud to say I've put on over 100,000 miles on my 94 SC auto. There aren't many cars I'd trade this thing for. Mines got 142000 on it now. Well anyway I think it needs a tune up because it's running not so great - though it'll still set you in your seat quite forcefully.
A couple problems...
If I come to a stop sign or a red light and don't hammer it when I take off, it will almost stall, and it seems like if somebody let's me take a left across traffic and I suddenly hit the gas, it will stall....that really sucks. Also when I come to a stop to back into my driveway, it will stall if I don't tap the gas early to keep it running.
The other problem is if I really get on it....by second or third gear I will usually start to hear a little preignition then I'll immediately let up.

Modifications are removed air silencer, K&N panel, new cats and no resonator to stock mufflers.

What are some things I can do to make this old bird sing like a spring thunder-chicken again? I should probably do the plugs and wires, but that shouldn't be causing preignition right? Do these cars have a pcv valve? I don't remember. But anyway, it's not like the timing is uot of adjustment(computerized right?) and I use 93 or better gas always.

I guess what I really want to know is, did anybody else have the same symptoms and what they did to fix the problems.

Thanks in advance for any help,
Jay

probably spark plug wires and plugs, had the same thing with mine, didn't fix it right away and had to change the crankshaft pickup. Bruins suck go Sabres!!!!! lol

preignition

were you getting the preignition too or just the stalling? I'm not sure how bad plugs and/or wires would cause preignition, though I probably will be replacing them too.

oh ps.... buffalo slobbers BOOOOO!!! lol
hey isn't stealing all our play books through that spy lawyer milloy enough for you! tha bum!

Last edited:
It was a couple of years ago, can't remember if I had preignition, but the bad wires were letting plugs fire that shouldn't be firing. Also, I believe there are knock sensors that might be bad

i had hesitation before when maf was dirty i just cleaned it with sensor safe spray the fine wires inside collect dust

MAF

Hey that can't hurt...my MAFS probably has k&n oil all over it again. I don't ever remember getting preignition from that though. I'll try it. Thanks and keep the suggestions coming. Jay

Back