Removing motor

justin07

I'm in the middle of taking the motor out of the sc , i'm without a book, how do you get access to the motor mounts so i can unbolt them? the subframe seems to be in the way. Is there a webpage or does someone have a scan of the steps for removing the motor in this car?
let me know, thanks

Justin

You only need to remove the long through bolt on each mount to disconnect the engine from the subframe. I think they are 13mm and come out from the front. You should just buy a manual for work on this scale. Good luck

Take my advice and get a manual of some sorts, youre gonna need one. True some are better than others but any are better than nothing.:)

If you can lift the chassis far enough, it's eaiser to drop the subframe and take the engine from underneath.

You have two options. Just pull the through bolt on the bottom of the mounts and on the drivers side there is another bolt on the top of the crossmember. Then lift the engine with the mounts attached. if you remove the cowling around the bottom of the windshield and pull the radiator and IC stuff there should be room to lift over top of the crossmember and pull the engine out with the mounts attached.

Otherwise you'll need to remove the bolts attached to the engine. There are 3, one in front, top middle and back. The ones in front are bolts with stud tops that ground wires attach to on both sides, plus a wire loom on the passenger side. PUll those bolts and the mounts will stay bolted to the crossmember when you lift.

Here is a thread with info on removing the motor mounts from the top that might give you more clues.

http://host.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=29205

Buy a manual.

If you don't buy a manual, you will spend the money anyway replacing broken sensors, ground cables, and wire looms.

You might even cry with the frustration. My kids wouldn't even talk to me while I was pulling mine.

BTW, I believe that there are two bolts that have to be removed on the driver side Moter mount. The long horizontal one & a short one that holds that goes in from the verticle angle.

Thanks for all the replies guys, i took out the through bolts to unhook the motor mounts. a couple of you said there is another small one on the drivers side to undo, i'll have to look for that.

All the cowling is out wiper motor and all that cuz it's a parts car and i'm stripping right down. so it's all gotta come off anyway.
I couldnt get the cherry picker today so i'm gonna pull it this week.

I bought an thunderbird service manual but it's at my aunts in the states so i havent had the chance to pick it up yet.

1 more questions, theres a bolt holding the lower ic tube in that i cant seem to find, i know it's there cuz the thing wont come out, how do i get at it?

BTW. you guys ever hear what this thing sounds like w/ open headers, lol here:
http://home.cogeco.ca/~flyntaott/tbird2.wmv

thanks, you've all been very helpful

Justin

Last edited:
Get the top tube off and you'll find the one on the lower side. Though you won't get the tube out with the power steering pump in place. That's for sure. You'll need to slide that entire assembly forward to give you some room.

I believe the bolt is on the top of the tube near the first bend from the front. It's really a stud with a nut.

Back