Stuck OD pulley

TbirdSC93

I have a new 5% OD pulley I want to put on but can get the old one off....the whole belt turns when I try to take the bolt off. anything I'm doing wrong? special tool I should be using?

If you have access to a impact wrench, that's the way to go. I used one on mine and was surprised that it came off just holding the pulley by hand. If you don't have access to one, go to sears and buy a strap wrench. They usually work pretty well to hold pulleys and such in place while trying to take that nut off.

Good Luck

Jake

If it is the stock pulley you are trying to remove, there is a flat area just behind the bolt where you can put a larger wrench on to keep it from turning.

Thomas

Even the 10% March pulley should have a back nut on the face (1.1/16" I recall). If by chance you have the billet alum. 10% with 2 threaded holes; then you can make yourself an 18" long bar from say 1 & 1/4" flat stock (alum), cut a notch for over the existing (outer)nut. Then drill holes and thread 2 small bolts into the pulley. Either hold it or let it rest against the top of the compressor and you are good to go (still have mine on my bench).
Jim.

PS.
Preferably use a 3 jaw puller to get the old pulley off (wrap the jaws with electrical tape or old strips of leather). Use a little anti-sieze on the shaft, loctite on the outer nut threads and 35 ft.lbs torque.

Back