Sputtering & Tach jumping,????

2 Hot 2 Handle

The 92 recently was at the track and on one pass it was going smoothly..until I suddenly lost power, and had to back out just after hitting 3rd gear.
I changed the DIS as I had 3 go in the last 2 months, not to say this was the problem but the car ran fine until yesterday, when it began sputtering again. it set CE light & even died.....It fired right back up & i t ran fine except the tach started jumping around wildly...6-7K rpm, with just mild throttle stabs....I changed out to an old DIS and the tach went back to normal, but the car is detonating now as if somethings not right.
My guesses where the EEC/Tuner/contacts, Crank sensor, faulty ground or voltage spike or something similar.....
Any help???

Well, I am definitely not the most mechanically savvy guy in this forum, but when my car had similar symptoms, loss of power, and strange tach movement it was due to broken pieces of honeycomb in the cats blocking the exhaust. My car lost power (twice) under heavy accleration, so you might want to rule that out.

If the tach is jumping around and missing ,I would put my .02 on the cam sensor.

Missed you guys at the shoot out.Would of been nice to see ya again.

Randy

I'll be replacing the cam sensor just to see.
No we didn't make the shootout.
wish we could have.
The cars ETs are definately going to be improving next year.
The latest dyno #s are proof enough.
Not only that, but I'm thinking about getting the magna port.
We installed a double IC since the last dyno & will pull again soon.

Don't use too much heat sink compund when installing a DIS. You want a nice thin coat. Also the screws ground the DIS and if you don't have a good ground the spark will cut out. Clean the grease off the threads and don't get heat sink grease around the corners where the threads are.

Back