Help me! Loud power steering pump!

DrewsSC

Alright guys, does anybody else have this problem? I mean this is really loud and it's really getting to me. It's been like this from almost a year or so but it works perfectly fine, i've never had a problem w/ it. I'll take any suggestion. Thanks!

Drew

Drew, my 35th is the same and has been since I bought it. I have changed the pump to no avail. A while back I mentioned this and one of the responses I got was "that good old ford option that noone mentions." I have had two fairly good theories to this problem: 1. the rack and pinion assemblies being made from aluminum will after time degrade and contaminate the system. Changing the pump will not eliminate what remains in the lines and replacing the entire system is the only option. 2. There are aftermarket racks that are sold that are of better quality metal that seem to last longer and don't contaminate the system.
I can only offer this at present because I haven't had the time to experiment with these options. I have tried fluid conditioners and they don't work. I wish I could offer better help. I hope someone else can help us all out from this because, like you, I am frustrated at the sound and it's embarrassing when people look at you as you turn near them.

Have a great week all.

hell yea

oh hell yea,, FORD=Loud power steering. listen to those tauruses to lol... my last t bird and my sc now have always been loud, steering works fine.. just loud as hell. People KNOW when im turning damn it.
-damon

You can flush out the system. Here's how:
1. Disconnect ignition or make it so you can crank the engine and not have it fire.
2. Take the low pressure line (the one that's held onto the pump with a hose clamp) off and put it so it will drain into a bucket.
3. With the help of someone else, crank the motor over so the pump starts to push out all of the old fluid, while pouring in new high quality power steering fluid. Don't let the pump run dry!
4. Turn the steering end-to-end once or twice, but don't hold it there.
5. Stop once the fluid runs clear and looks new. Re-hook up everything and try it out.

I did this in my taurus after I got tired of listening to the pump all the time. I used to use just automatic trans fluid in the power steering, but after putting in high quality power steering fluid and flushing out the system, it's been pretty quiet.

The SC power steering does use type F tranny fluid, not PS fluid. I saw that on a thread a while ago. I looked it up in my Ford manual and there it was in black and white!

I'd do what Scott said and flush the system. Try refilling it with ATF. Other people said the pump was quieter running the ATF.

Hey guys here a option to try. My power steering pump was whining loud on my 91 sc and I drained the fluid out and put in lucas power steering fluid. Worked great and no more whine at all. You can get the lucas at any auto parts store. Also worked great on my friends mustang. Try it.

Try some synthetic PS fluid...

I filled mine with RedLine Synthetic PS fluid after the last time I had the pump and bracket out of the car. It always had a slight whine before, but after the "oil change" with synthetic, it is almost silent (at least for a Ford PS pump).

Your standard power steering fluid is type F tranny ATF fluid (generally only Honda has separate fluid & later model domestic cars used Mercon). I've heard some people say it got quieter using Mercon; but I just flushed mine thru using a cheap type F from PepBoys & then added the Lucas. Been fine ever since. 1993 5 speed with 193,000m on the original pump & engine.
Jim.

Nearly all the research I have done points to:

#1 - Air in the system. the style of pump Ford uses does not tolerate air. it will work with air in the system but it will make noise.
#2 - Contaminated fluid. You can flush the system as described but don't need to crank the engine. Just take the belt off and spin the pump pully manually. It's not that hard with the lines connected and easier to ensure you don't run it dry of fluid.
#3 - Bad pump.

The synthetic alternatives are interesting and may be worth a try. Just make sure you flush the system as you put the new stuff in.

Mine was always fine until a month or so ago when I changed the rack, pump, and a bunch of lines. Now it's loud. Might try some of these suggestions.

Matt

Red - your '92 uses Ford approved power steering fluid, which is "type F" tranny fluid. If you are just topping up, buy a bottle of PS fluid. If you are flushing it out, it's cheaper to buy the type F fluid at about $1.25 qt.

Hey guys, thanks for all the suggestions. I am definatly going to fix this darn problem now and stop being embarresed to turn. Thanks all!

Drew

Back