rebuild and guage sais no oil pressure again!!!!!!

stephens89sc

well i re did the motor i made sure all the clearances were optimum and still it sais i have no oil pressure

now!!!!! my question to you is in the process of the re-build i broke the oil pressure sensor thing thats beside the timing chain cover so i went and i got a new part now it looks totally different my question is is that why im not reading oil pressure

the part # for this thing is OP23081 is made by Niehoff

i got it from lordco and is sais o/p switch on the box

is this the right part???? or what?

what are you using for an oil pressure guage?? If you have a variable gauge with different PSI readings then you CAN NOT use the stock type sending unit. You must use something like an autometer sending unit or another brand that is a variable sender. The stock type sender is only an on.off switch, if the pressure goes below 7psi then the light on the dash comes on. Get a new sending unit for a variable gauge or use a mechanical gauge to get the right reading. If you took it all apart again and everything checked out with the plastigauge then my guess says its just a guage problem. I would have got a new oil pump and not the rebuild kit. If you are positive that your oil pump is putting out then my guess is just that you have the wrong sender. The main concern last week was your oil pump. I never heard what you ended up doing with that.

Stephen if you are using the stock gauges they gave you the wrong sender part # OP23091 is a sender unit for an oil light.
You need part # OP80941 for the oil gauge.

The stock oil pressure gauge is just a fancy idiot light. It doesn't read variable output from a sending unit unless you remove or bypass the resistor in back of the gauge cluster. The stock pressure sending unit is the on/off type and not variable.

Here's the article on how to mod the system to actually read the pressure and make it a real gauge. http://www.sccoa.com/articles/oilgauge.php

Stephen:
You still have the Oil pressure guage you screw into where the Oil pressure sender goes?? NEVER trust that dash oil pressure guage.. i wouldn't even trust it converted to a `moving' guage...

It just a `fancy' idiot light.. and the sender closes the contacts at like what? 5-10PSI raising??

Like when i redid my 289.. i never had ONE factory guage hooked up... water temp, Oil pressure, (had even a Fuel pressure guage hooked up) and even Volt guage

Sorry i have no clue about part numbers...

So did the lifters click at all?? :)

Best way to make sure is to hook up a mechanical oil pressure guage. I think you can get an Autometer 2 1/16 job for $35 from summit online. Then you won't have to guess that you have oil pressure or not. Even if you don't install the guage, it will be a cheap troubleshooting tool and nice to have...or you could sell it on ebay as slightly used.

I agree with these guy's Stephen. You have alot of work and money tied up in your new engine and at the very least use that mechanical test gauge to make sure your pressure is right when you first fire the engine.
I was only telling you that the sender you listed is not the one for the factory gauge and that could be why you were showing no pressure. Protect your investment, its really cheap insurance.;)

Back