Check Engine Light

pirulo

Hi guys,
I was driving my car home on Thursday back from work, and I hit a pot hole on the freeway and the Check Engine Light came on and it stayed. I parked the car at my house and shut the engine and started it again and the Check Engine Light went away. Again on my way back home from work it happened again and don’t think I hit any pot hole, but the Check Engine Light stayed and when I shut the engine and started it again it went away. It happened today on my way to work when I hit the pot hole.
My Mechanic said he cannot check for any codes, unless the Check Engine Light stays on after starting the car and he thinks nothing is wrong.
My car is 89 SC manual tranny, do you experts think it is a sign of anything going wrong or a loose connection.
thanks

I believe your mechanic is wrong. If a sensor was out of range even temporarily, you would be able to retrieve a code. If he tries and the system was clear/pass code 111; then it probably is a loose connection. There is a "wiggle" test proceedure for finding a loose connection, but I wouldn't bother unless the 'engine light' is consistently on or the car is misbehaving in some way. Tell your mechanic to run a KOEO test.
Jim.

Its something thats probably losing a signal such as a loose connection. Run the memory codes, and whatever sensor it says, check the connection.

Invest $30.00 in a code reader from Auto Zone and learn how to use it. Then you can read your own check engine lights

I have a code reader in the glove boxes of both of my super chickens.

Hi guys,
I went to the mechanic and he used the code reader and couldn't find any codes.
On my may to work after driving approx. 26 miles the check engine light came on again and at a signal I shut off the engine and started the car again and check engine light went away.
I don't know what do to. The car runs great.

Got any auto zone's near you? They do free diagnostics. When the light comes on, drive to the auto zone and don't shut the car off until they are ready to run codes. That way its fresh in the memory.

What seems to be happening is you have something in the system that is intermittent. When the comp is monitering the system and a fault comes up because something reads out of spec the comp sets off the CEL. However if the problem corrects itself within a specified amount of time the comp assumes(yes isnt that cute Ford taught the comp to assume, as if that doesnt cause problems) the problem was a fluke so it discards the code and goes on about its buisness until it happens again.
These kinds of problems are the hardest to trace down and can be very irretating to find.:)

similar

welll might as well throw in this. i had my CE light coming on when i was on the highway just like you, same syptoms... i may have hit a big bump now that i recall in town somewhere,, but i dont know... it was my cam sensor... im not saying to replace that but it was my problem with my CE light. before i replaced the sensor though i got a code reader from autozone... better to inves tin one of those. those things are awesome..
-damon

Hi guys,
Yesterday on my back home, I went to the autozone when the Check engine light was on. Unfortunately they said for a year now they stopped diagnostics for check engine light.
Well it seems like the check engine light comes on once the engine is hot. May be I shoud try with my mechnic when the light is on.
Any other suggestions.

That's unfortunate, because my local AutoZone will still check it for you. I suggest you either get a code reader or follow the instructions in Haynes for jumping out the diagnostic port and reading the flashes of the light to identify the codes. Our models are generally a 3 code system with 10 being the separation between multiple codes. 111 is a system pass & I believe it's 511 or 512 for an EEC failure. If you download the codes when the light is on and put them on this site, one of us I'm sure will tell you what they are from our code books.
Jim.

Hey Pirulo

Yeah I got that same problem with the autozones around here . These guys are real jerks they hate running codes . They always act like you are ruining their day. Anyway the zones around here will only run your codes if your car is OBD2/EEC 5 so if yor car is 1994 or newer they will do it. If your car is OBD1/ EEC 4 1985 thru 1993 they won't. What is up with that I thought these guys were in business to make money. Also I went there once to have my codes read and they wouldn't do . So I send a hot looking babe over there . Sure enough she got their attention . They jump right to it. So as as they were done I went in and gave them an earful. What is it that she has that I don't ummmm tits and A** and cash. So the moral of the the story If you want the service of the counter guy attention send a babe in and and the light bulb in his head will turn on. If your CEL is coming on thn there has got to be a code . If your car is running good the computer is keep things right . Usually it is a lean or rich condition and the eec will adjust to keep for doing damage.

Thanks for all your inputs.
After reading couple of articles on this board. I decided it is the O2 Sensor. I didn't know which, but I replaced both of them.
The Check engine light doesn't come on anymore. I disn't think it was the cam sensor, because I replaced it last year.
Hope I get good mileage going forward.

Back