rough idle and stalling

sully

I just changed out my motor mounts yesterday .I went with the solid rubber ones everyone is talking about.After finishing the job I hooked the battery back up and when I started the car it sputtered real bad and then stalled.The car had been running like a top before the mount change.I unhooked the mass air sensor above the filter and it ran better but not great.As soon as I plug the sensor in the car dies.Also there is a whistling sound coming from the back of the motor when it shuts down.Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated.

Sounds like one of the vaccuum hoses came off during the MM replacement.
Find that "whistle" (vaccuum leak) & you should be fine.

You may have a vacumm line off like mentioned above.
But if you had the battery cable off,the computor may
need a little time to relearn to idele right. just check
the vac lines ,and try to restart the motor.

good luck randy

Whistling? OR Dying Goose Sound?

Maybe pinched and broke/cut a vacuum line when jacking engine up??

are there any particular hoses or fitting at the back of the motor I should be looking for?

VACUUM LEAK

CK. @ THE BACK OF THE INTAKE PLENUM FOR A VACUUM LEAK WHILE ENGINE IS RUNNING. PINCH OFF HOSES WITH NEEDLE NOSE TO FIND LEAK.

The problem is fixed.I found a line from the pcv valve to the back plennum was off and tough to get back on but its done.Thanks for everyones help this forum is great!!!:)

Sully,

So did you notice any difference in the new motor mounts? Mine are original with 121,000 miles and have been thinking of replacing them. Every post I have caught a glimpse of says they notice smoother acceleration and lease vibration. True?? How hard a job would you rate it on a scale 1 easy and 10 difficult?

I had to change my mounts as I could not change my oil because of the cross member.As far as smoother yes it is a smoother acceleration and it feels as if the front end has had a large weight removed from it.How hard is it????It depends on your skill level.I would have had mine completed in about 4 hours but I had to chase threads on the block on the drivers side.I could do it a whole lot faster now if I had to.Also I read alot of how to advice on this forum before I attempted it and it was helpful although I didn't remove as much as most people do...I left the knock sensor alone and did all my work from underneath.Its not that bad just be patient.I could give you some advice if you want......let me know.At that mileage though I would say your mounts are probably shot.

Cool Sully,
I'm not a bad mechanic, so I guess they shouldn't be too bad then. I'll be doing mine in a month or so. I best read up on it and find some tricks. After looking at it from underneath I can't see how it can be done, but everybody's doing them, and mine surely must need them too. Changing my oil is a pain as the filter is very close to the K-frame and is hard to get a filter wrench to slide on there. Think the solid rubber ones are $90.00. So I'll get a set here in a month or so. Thanks again...

I got the mounts at autozone for 28.00 each.Check em out.If you have any questions let me know:)

Back