OD pullys, what do i need

dodgetruck91

I have a stock 89 5 spd, I would like to know what i need to do before i install a od pully, i know you would want to run headers and a free flowing exhaust but is there anythinig else, IE: ijectors or a chip? and can i run a 10% od pully on a stock engine? any input at all would be great.

Exhaust is always 1st, but headers aren't exactly a necessity just yet. Getting rid of the factory cats & resonator should be your 1st priority. Larger MAFS & throttle body should probably be next, then the OD pulley. No sense having the blower try to move more air if it's not getting enough air into it. Injectors & chip can come later too. The most bang for the buck is usually seen by opening up the exhaust, then getting more air into the blower.

mcate said:
Exhaust is always 1st, but headers aren't exactly a necessity just yet. Getting rid of the factory cats & resonator should be your 1st priority. Larger MAFS & throttle body should probably be next, then the OD pulley. No sense having the blower try to move more air if it's not getting enough air into it. Injectors & chip can come later too. The most bang for the buck is usually seen by opening up the exhaust, then getting more air into the blower.

so i can run stock manifolds and a 10% pully if i open up the exhaust and still be safe? whehre do i ifind the MAf sensors and Throttle body?

Yep, you can run a 10% pulley as long as you do the exhaust 1st. Back pressure equals blown head gaskets on our cars. I'm only running a 5%, but I've got the newer 94-95 blower. As for MAFS & TB's, talk to Bill at Super Coupe Performance (www.supercoupeperformance.com)
There are several different options for MAFS & TB's. Depends on how much you want to spend. Just make sure you get yourself a nice set of straight thru cats, larger pipes, & good resonator & mufflers before you do anything to the intake side.

I suppose you could, but V-6's tend to sound like tractors if you're not careful. A good set of straight thru cats, a MagnaFlow resonator, & some turbo mufflers would reduce your back pressure & still not make it sound too loud.

Back