Very Strange

ShawnSC1

My motor was running fine. The motor had bad rings. So I picked up another motor.

So I installed this motor. Then I went to fire it up. I had no power.
I checked the batery ok, ground wire ok and checked all conectors ok. Still no power at all. I have no lights alarm ect. Nothing.

I spent hours trying to figure this out. Please has anybody have had this problem and maybe can help me out on this.

Would that cause this problem because I thought the motor is grounded by the neg. cable. I have that mounted to the lower ic tube bolt, that sticks out to the side of the bracket.

I think I know what you are talking about. Is that the ground strap on the pass. side, that goes to engine block. If so I didn't hook it up because I didn't have it on the old motor.

The engine may have ground, but the rest of the car won't.

You need to hook up the negative to the engine and hook up the ground strap between the engine and the body (passenger's side motor mount bracket i believe)

I don't remember where the battery cable hooks up on the engine but I'm pretty sure it's not the accessory braket. Anyone know off-hand?

Aaron

There should be two ground straps. One on the drivers side front motor mount bolt. And one on the passenger side.

My ground is allright. Still nothing.

I went and did a test on the starter switch to see if the starter would turn over. This is what we did. We got a jumper wire, and connected one end of batery pos. and the other end to the starter switch. The small red w/blue-strp. Then the starter turned over. So I got into the car and put the key in on postion and we did the same thing. Then I had power and the motor was running. Then when we let go of the jumper wire, everthing shut down. Only run it for 5-10 seconds because the starter was still going.

Now whats going on here. We can't figure this out. Could it be the DIS unit. If so would the car still run if gone.

Man oh man oh man. you got a bad connection.

If you were to run your codes it would be. 15 c power interrupted to Keep Alive Memory. This is the code you get if you unhook the battery then hook it up and run codes.So you turn the key on and nothing correct. Then the first place I would suspect is your ignition switch is bad if you turn the key on and there is nothing then you have a bad connection in Key cylinder. There is no power when you put the key in the on position correct?

OOPs didn't see the no lights part this is a puzzeling problem.

I still am stuck on connection obviously. Got me on this one you are gonna have to trace the problem. There are grounds all over the place . Good luck. Find someone with an SC like yours and start checking from connection to connection . it has got to be something simple. there just isn't that much to hook up after you do an engine swap. Have you checked your inertia switch? Was the car and old motor working and running before you made the swap?

I have no power to headlights, cig. lighter, alarm ect. nothing. But when I did that test, everthing came on. Maybe when I installed the motor I forgot to hook something up, or even pinched a wire. I don't know. I have changed two motors in this car in the past and never had this problem. Does it matter if the motor came out of a 92sc.

No the fact that it came out of a 92 does not matter.

it has got to be somwhere from the battery to the fuse box. The positive hooks to the firewall solinoind Are you sure these connections are right. there should only be one thing on the negative solinoid post that is the starter cable Which also has a positive connection on it it is the horseshoe shaped thing. Everything else hooks to the positive post then goes to the fuse boxes. I am guessing the prob might be somwhere in here but I don't know fer sure. There is also a negative connection right in front of the battery a little wire coming off the neg conector on mine there is also a fuse in this line If it is not hooked up or fuse is blown the lights will not come on.

Problems we experienced after a wrecked car fixed. The ground wire waers not screwed to the radiator support in front of the battery. This comes off the negative bat cable.

Yes there is at least 2 ground cables from engine to car. Seems we came across some other smaller ones.

Also we had some serious issues with the alarm with the door keypad on one car which blocked any starting for 5 min unless you unlock the door, whether locked or not, first before opening either door.

wiring harness

Just my 2 cents: If the car you put the motor in is a 90, and the engine you put in is a 92, make sure you used the original wiring harness for the 90. I found out the hard way when I put a 91 engine in my 90, and used the 91 harness. Slight differences for the sensors (O2 sensors to be exact). However, my engine light came on, we ran the codes and found it running rich. Confirmed that once I replaced the main wiring harness with the 90 harness.

Again, dont know if this is applicable to you, but something to look at.

Where does the to thick yellow wires goto on the firewall solinoind. Maybe I have them in the wrong spot. I don't have them on the red pos. wire lead coming from the batery. Or is that where the go. Thats the two wires that go into the main fuse box wireing harness.

I have change the wirer harness to the org. 90. Also had to change some hoses to the 90 style aswell. I know what you are talking about when it came down to the extra o2 sensor.

Like I said when I did that test. The motor run fine. Now if the motor was not grounded correctly. Would of it run and everthing eles.

Back