Squeak... SQUEAK... Knock... KNOCK...

SuperCop

Bad Supercharger... atleast that's the preliminary findings of the shop that has my car right now.

That makes sense considering the quiet knocking sound leading up to the demise of the SC... it would knock like a lifter tick right up until boost, then go away.

Anyway... MY QUESTION:

What's the best route to go???

I've seen used SC's for $400-900 and SCP.com has a BRAND NEW one for $750.

What do you think???

Do SCCOA members get a discount on SCP???

Thanks!
Kyle

Tell them to run the motor without the belt on the blower. I would do this first before replaceing such an exspensive part.

Yep, that's planned for tomorrow, problem is... they locked my keys in the car and I was out of town, so I put the keys in their drop box after getting them out tonight and they'll resume tomorrow.

I just want to feel out my options so I know what to do tomrorow.

Its just that these things seldom go bad. Your bearings my have taken a dump but the snout can be rebuilt. I would look into a used one if possable but make sure you get one from a reliable sorce.

that's the problem, I don't really know who a "reliable source" is.

I'll see if there's any place in town that can rebuild superchargers and take it to them.

OK, now that they've had a chance to take the belt off, they realized it's not the SC, it's further below it, there guess in the main bearing.

My oil pressure and temp. is fine, I dunno, maybe I should get a second opinion?

A burned piston will make a tapping/knocking sound.

So will a collapsed lifter, as well as other things.

They originally thought it was the SC at the top of the engine, why do they now say it's in the bottom end? Unfortunately the oil pressure gauge is only a switch that indicates pressure or no pressure, so you can't completely rule out a bearing.

I think I'd find second opinion.

Lee

Back