High Performance Rebuild

metalman

Last week I blew a head gasket on my '90 SC. So, now I have everything off and the heads are ready to come out. I am looking to rebuild it so I can get another 13 years out of the car and give it more power.
I am looking to port & polish the heads, 3 angle valvle job, mill the heads and block.
Who can I get roller rockers and a better cam from? Any model # would be helpful. I have looked on line but didn't find anything.

I am thinking about boring 30 over but I don't know yet.

Thanks,
Metalman

I found a local head shop that will do the milling, porting, polishing, and 3 angle valve job for about $400 for the pair.

How does that sound?

That Apten company looks like a place to keep checking up on.
The roller rockers they sell are $50 less than from Super coupe Performance.

Later

honestly $400 isn't going to give you much. Find a speed shop and see what they can do for you. That sounds like just a quickie put it together and send it out. If you find a good speed shop they should either have a machine shop/engine builder there or be able to recommend a good place. Then yap with them to find out what you should do.

AH, I see you live in California. The cost of living is a bit less here on the East Coast :)

I just gave my heads to East Coast Machine today. He said it will cost between $350-$400 to Magnaflux the heads, mill, blend the bowls, port and polish, and do a 3 angle valve job.

He as all the machines in his shop. My brother has gone to this guy for work on his 350hp '88 5.0 T-bird.

I am gonna give the shop my block to deck the block, clean it, and replace all the bearing and rings. I was toying around with a 30 over bore, but I think I'll save that money an put it to the exhaust.

Has any of you thought about using aftermarket V6 mustang headers on the SC's? They should be an exact match at half the price (or a lot less anyway)

Later

well they don't fit exactlly - on the pass. side they do the steering column is a bit tricky to mess with - I grinded my pair down, and still it rubs, but not too often...

Woo Hoo- I have a great brother!!! He is paying for my head work as a birthday/early christmas gift. And he's giving my a new 3.55 rear gear that he was gonna put in his '88 bird. He opted for a 3.73 in his.

Happy B-day:D

BTW: when you say the east coast is cheaper, say the southeast. Up here in Taxachussetts, the cost of living is not so great. I pay more in daycare than most pay for a mortgage down there.

Aaron

Thanks Pastera,
I know what you mean. My cousin bought a house in Long Island for $300,000 that you can get down here for $150,000. I am OK with Virginia's taxes
:D

Gotta say that's a good deal on the headwork. I dropped $805 for competion valve job. Mild porting, Double valvesprings, and to have my intake port matched to my heads. The guy at the shop I went to said he spent a lot of time on the exhaust ports. I compared them to a set of stock heads I got lying around, and there is a huge difference in the overall appearances.

We'll THANK GOD, my heads weren't cracked! I am getting all the work done to it and I'm getting it back on Monday! Then, I'll be giving him the block to deck and change the bearings and rings.

I hope to see a noticable difference.

Can you get those heads flowbenched?

Might just be worth some shipping charges if they can flow decent numbers.

Aaron

Back