A few '95 Questions

IGot6UGot8

Well I picked up my first '95 SC today. I've owned a '91 auto and an '89 5spd, but this is my first later model SC. I have a couple concerns about it.

First, the automatic tranny seems to shift a little too hard into 2nd. As far as I know, it doesnt have a shift kit, but forst feels like it does. No matter whether I get on it, or ease into the throttle, I get a very firm 1-2 shift.

My other main concern is with a sort of whine from the engine. I never have noticed my early models whining, but I know the M90 got a make over for the 94-95's. Was this enough to cause a whine, or is there something else I need to look into? On a side note, as soon as I heard the whine I decided to check the SC Fluid. When I took out the plug, fluid spit out like it was under pressure. The car wasn't cool... but it had sit for a few minutes. Is this normal?

If anyone can spread some light on these for me, I'd appreciate it. The car has about 145K on it, but is extremely clean for the milage.

Thanks
Jake

I'll take a guess...

I'm not a long time SC owner, and mine is a 5 speed, but I do have two others that are automatics.

Sounds like the tranny has had the J-mod done or the 1-2 accumulator top spring is broken. The J-Mod is a modification for the 4R70W suggested by Jerry somebody, who worked for Ford and helped design the tranny...or so the story goes. Check here...

http://www.tccoa.com/articles/tranny/index.html

Second and third articles cover it.

I have done the J-mod for the mild setting on my 4.6 cougar and the 1-2 shift is very hard. The fix is to put the original spring (or get the recommended replacement from Ford) back on top of the 1-2 accumulator or replace the broken one. The articles pretty much explain alot of it, but you may have to re-read it several times and sort out the details.

My blower whines when I get on it, but at idle, it's quiet. I've heard whines on 3.8s before....most of them were belt tensioner related. Yours might still have the plastic tensioner rollers on it and I think these had a problem that causes the bearings to fail.

Just a guess and I hope it's usefull information.

I own various years and really no diference except you do feel the extra power. Sound is about the same. I agree about the tensioner. Sometimes the shut up after awhile if the car has sat up for long periods. Use a stick on various parts of the engine with ear next to it, when running, to isolate the whine.

I own a 95auto sc and the 1-2 shift on mine is not hard at all it is very mushy. I had a whine in mine and it ended up being the upper belt tension pulley.
Good luck

Thanks guys.. I'm gonna take it to my tranny guy and get it serviced and checked out. I might swap the pulleys with my 89 to see if that fixes the whine.

Thanks
Jake

Back