haynes vs. chilton

Compared to the FORD Helms Shop Manual and Ford EVTM they are both pretty much useless. About the only good thing I can say is they give alternative disassembly and assembly tips that do not require the Ford Specilized Tools listed in the Shop Manual for many tasks.

^^^ what he said

btw on a side note were there any changes between 94 and 95 on the SC's? I have access to a 1995 Tech CD that I has all the manuals for the 1995 Cars... but i have a 1994 I know a lot of the stuff is the same but did they change anything?

Last edited:
I picked up a 90 Ford manual for my SC and there's NO WAY I could have got it put back together with either the Haynes or Chiltons.

I have lots of Haynes manuals, some Chiltons. Just depends on the car. The ones I have duplicates of the Chiltons seems to cover the tech stuff a little better, Haynes has better illustrations.

I have Ford Shop Manuals for almost every year of SC. But we look at the Haynes as well, when i a hurry. Sometimes the Ford manual is a bit hard to find what your looking for, untill you get used to them. Look on ebay and bid away on those big Ford manuals. Way cheaper than new.

Yeah Mitchell i agree is the best but you gotta pay for that monthy so unless your a mechanic or on an SC that breaks 24/7 heehhe then its too expensive.

chilton and haynes are both pretty limited. If it's in one of those manuals, you either already know it or can figure it out with some common sense. If you are trying to do something that you really need a manual for, the information is not in chilton or haynes. I'd get the Ford manual from Helm.

i got lucky when i bought my car. it had all three in the trunk. plus a ford wiring and vacuum book and wiring schematics. i have used all of them at one point or another.

Back