Ignition Question

AdamU

Hi, i would like to start off and say that i am 17 and i have just bought my first car (1991 thunderbird SC)

Unlike my fathers car (1992 lincoln Mk Vll lsc-se) i can not turn the key counter-clockwise to activate only the radio and other accesories! are all thunderbirds like this, or is there something messed up with mine?

Someone has already sudgested to me to check the users manual, but the guy i bought it off of said that he did not know where it went!!!

Thx, Adam

Mine is an 89

I can turn mine backwards (counter clockwise) to turn the radio on. I have seen cars out there where you can't turn it backward and the first notch is for accessory. The reason for this is because you have a distributorless system. In the old days with distributor cap and rotor and points. You would not want the key in the on position to just listen to the radio or you would burn up the points. So the makers of the car made it so you could bypass the starting system and have accessorys by turning the key backwards. Do you understand what I am saying. Or do I sound like a dino for the stoneage.

try pressing the little white button below key slot i have to press it while turning the key to put it in the accesory postiton

IGNITION SWITCH

YOU MAY HAVE TO ADJUST YOUR IGNITION SWITCH AT THE BASE OF THE STEERING COLUMN TO GET TOUR ACC.

Back