re: get this

Brianas

re: get this

well I finally got my sc back from the Ford dealer with a new ding in the bumper and all. woo hoo it just gets better all the time
any way for those who read my 1st post ford did replace my kvr brakes they damaged with new kvr brakes
so now i got poly bushings everywhere -new everything steering and suspension related fr+bk and they aligned the car twice
well its got a nasty shake or vibration on the highway-clutch in and out same--any way they say it just needs the tires balnced-
hmm ok well Ill get them balanced again -this may b the 10th balance in 2 years and 5k mi.--what a joke
I just want my bird to ride smooth and straight down the highway
is this 2 much 2 ask for?
Josh

If the car was out of alignment bad enough, long enough...

You may have to replace the worn tires. When they get too badly worn, they'll just get worse over a short period of time, even after alignment and balancing. I had that happen to me when I was on a business trip and couldn't get it taken care of soon enough.

Lee

the car was only out of alignment while it was in the shop as work was being done
the tires have maybe 5 k on them and look to not be worn at all never mind unevenly
is there something I could b missing in the front end?
ive done
shocks/all bushings/ball joints/tie rods inner + outer
rack+pump/endlinks/brakes/upper arms/tires wheels
the only thing that has not been replace r the front wheel bearings- they seem fine and I was told these rarely if ever go bad--and they r not available any way
maybe Ill pull out my stock rims and tires and through those on for the heck of it

Doesn't sound like the tires then.

When does the vibration occur - at all speeds, above or below certain speeds? Is it mostly noise or does the whole car vibrate?

Lee

i really liked your car Josh and its a shame they put a ding in it....or any car for that matter. I had a similar problem with shops messing up my car. When i got an alignment...they never took the weight off the front of the car and turned the camber bolts....stripping the squarge holes in the washers. Then they tell me it was like that, however i did all the front end parts 3 weeks before that with brand new bolts and washers and lowering springs, hence why i needed an alignment. I ended up taking my car to the local shop who does our cars for work (car quest) and got a 4 wheel align for $35, and they let me watch them. Anyways, it sounds like something they did is causing this problem, and not your wheels. Take it back and have them fix it. You are paying top dollar for a stealership to do it, so they might as well do it right. If i could do an alignment in my garage i would, i do all my work myself,,everytyhing, but i guess it comes down to if you want something done right, do it yourself. Take it back to the dealership and have them look it over one more time. Other than that i really cant help much unless i drove in the car to feel this vibration.

hey - hows it going
thanks for the replys
the vibration is on the highway only
I start feeling it at about 60 then it just gets worse as speed increases
the car feels fine and smooth around town
thanks josh

kinda sounds like my car when the driveshafted was out of wack. Actually the u-joint was about to pop out. An easy fix and was smooth after that. But i still think its a front end problem and not a wheel.

I had the same thing on a Sable wagon.

It started at about 70 and got real bad at 80. I had to replace both front tires. Vibration at high speed as you describe it is usually front wheel balance.

Lee

Brianas said:
any way for those who read my 1st post ford did replace my kvr brakes they damaged with new kvr brakes

Good to hear they replaced the rotor Josh, I figured they would. I even double checked with the warranty admin here and he agreed with me that they should replace them as part of the repair for the bearing. Glad it worked out for ya in that area.

On the shake I'd check the tires, driveshaft, and what kind of wheels do you have? I know some wheels are really sensative to run out and you should have a lug painted on the top (probably white or yellow) line the valve stem up with that and see if it goes away.

thanks for replys
the drive shaft was just balanced and new universals+half shafts
I guess Ill look into my tires and wheels
I have a set of cobra r wheels--I wonder if there bad
thanks
Josh

Have you check your Half-Shafts for excessive play. I've experienced similiar vibrations at those speeds, turned out that I had a bad driver's side half shaft. Just a thought.

Calvin

Back