The old man & his SC encounter an Impala SS

onequiksc

My first stoplight contest in over a year, and it was a good' un...

He wanted to run me, because I was stopped at the light and he was coming up behind me in the right lane, and decided to move over next to me in the left.

Green, we take it moderately quick, then we seemed to both hit it at about ~20 mph, and I pull 1/2 a car, by 60 (50 mph zone) I shut down and he's at my rear tire. He slows and pulls in behind me at the next light, with other cars already stopped. He was tryin' pretty hard from the sound of it (windows down in both cars, no passengers in either).

Was safe straightline fun, and I wasn't too sure how the old car would fare, but what the hey...she still has it.

Looked and sounded like a stock SS, that greenish -gray color. The guy was in his late 50's , early 60's.

Damn, I'm as bad as the kids these days. :p

I'd like to run one of those...never had a chance to....there kind of intimidating though I think its a lot of hype behind them...

I would think I could take one being that I took a new GT stang

I'd always wanted to line up against a stock one myself, but it took all these years for it to happen.

If you took a new GT, you would likely take a somewhat modded Impala SS, because the new GT's run low 14's and 0-60's in the mid 5's.

man you sound like me, well it felt good to whoop up on someone at a light didnt it? been a while huh? so now you gonna go out at 3 in the am looking to drag race all the time?:D damn kids!!

Nah Mike

I really don't go looking for them in my SC , but this one came to me, so I gave it a shot.

Funny addendum to this ; Yesterday (the day after the Impala event) I was the one pulling up to a guy at a light in a 55 mph zone between Daytona and Ormond. It was a late 80's , early 90's Firebird Formula, but it wasn't stock from the looks or the sound. He had exhaust and a high riser hood on it. Wasn't in the best shape cosmetically, but I thought he might have some guts under the hood. Anyway...

This time , he was in the left lane, I came up on the right, and it was a 55 mph zone with a merge ahead from the 2 lanes to 1.

Dammit, I had to give it a shot. Now...I'm here in the no B.S. zone, I don't have a big enough ego nor fast enough car to make stuff up, so here's how it played out;

When I came to the light, I lined up about at his front fender/door area, not even with his bumper at all. I didn't want him to think I was going to be cocky, and I wasn't sure he would run me, so I played possum a bit and seemed disinterested. I figured if he hit it I would see if I could reel him in, or at least stay with him.

Well, he hit it, and so did I. I stayed right there at his passenger door all the way to 60. Then something very weird happened as we approached the merge, I still can't figure it out.

He gave up. I kept coming and even though he had me by that fender still he let me merge in front of him, when I was the one in the (right) merge lane,

Not sure if he missed a shift (It seemed like he was auto though) of hit a flat spot, or if he just decided not to go faster than 60 in the 55 zone. I'll never know, but he stayed behind me all the way into Ormond from there.

I wish I knew what he had in it, because it would tell me if I hung with a fast car with a built 5.7 etc. , or just an old stock Formula with just the riser hood. But i'll never know.

2 stoplight encounters in 2 days in my SC. That hasn't happend before in 13 years.

Back