Autometer mechanical Oil Pressure Gauge

Brandon

Ok, I bought an Autometer mechanical Oil Pressure gauge. Now, before you try to talk me out of the mechanical gauge, I got it for cheap and I'm going to get an insulator to keep the oil out of the interior. My question is, where could I hook this up to? I really have no idea. All I've seen on here are hookups for electrical gauges. Thanks

should be just a power and ground and tube, and you have to replace the stock sending unit with the autometer one, and its located left side of the power steering pump pushed in a little back you'll see it, i think me and my brother had to remove that bracket on the right side i think to put it in...Alex...

SuperCoupeSC91 said:
should be just a power and ground and tube, and you have to replace the stock sending unit with the autometer one, and its located left side of the power steering pump pushed in a little back you'll see it, i think me and my brother had to remove that bracket on the right side i think to put it in...Alex...

So the autometer sending unit has a fitting for the tube to connect to? Thanks for your input. I like your dash layout for your gauges. I am doing something similar with mine. I have put 2 Air/fuel gauges, boost gauge, and oil pressure gauge where the radio was. I'm also going to put a water temp and tranny temp where the headlight switch is, although I'll have to move the switch up! Both have a nice aluminum background for the gauges.

if i remember right i believe the tube/sending unit/gauge is all in 1 piece...at least it was for another gauge i bought before, i think thats how alot of mechanical ones are all 1 piece, just remove your stock sending unit and replace it with the one you have... Alex LaChance

Re: ...

SuperCoupeSC91 said:
if i remember right i believe the tube/sending unit/gauge is all in 1 piece...at least it was for another gauge i bought before, i think thats how alot of mechanical ones are all 1 piece, just remove your stock sending unit and replace it with the one you have... Alex LaChance

My gauge didn't come with an actual sending unit, unless one of the fittings just screw into the block in place of the sender.

sounds like you have to contact autometer to get the P/N to what u need or call summit because i'm almost positive you cant use the stock sending unit. sounds like someone just took out the gauge to replace it (hopefully you have a working gauge you bought) they seemed to sell you only part of it. some mechanical gauges though now i remember have 2 seperate p/ns you have to order, so maybe you'll get lucky.... or maybe you just need there sending unit and you can use your own tube, i'd really call Autometer tech support, they helped me out.... here is there number.... Alex LaChance

Tel. (815) 895-8141

One of the fittings has the same threads as the stock sending unit. I'm assuming I can just screw this fitting into the block in place of the sender. I don't care if my stock gauge works or not. I don't see a reason to have a sending unit with a mechanical gauge. Am I wrong?

Opps...your right, i'm confusing mechanical with electrical, you should just need to have a fitting and tube to your gauge (no sending unit, thats for electrical gauges), the fluids go from the engine to the end of your gauge, and inside your gauge is where it converts the pressure.. to keep your stock gauge working you would need a T fitting to put a tube to your gauge and also be able to screw your stock sending unit into it also... Alex LaChance

I prefer a mechanical oil pressure guage as opposed to an electric one. I was wondering why anybody would want to talk you out of it? Anyway...this insulator to keep oil out of the interior...what it is? I've never heard of it. I've found that if you tighten the compression fitting on the back of the guage properly (not too loose, not too tight) that oil doesn't leak. The only precaution I can give is to make sure the 1/8 nylon tube stays away from all things hot (over 250 degrees). On my 4.6 Cougar, I drilled a hole right next to the throttle cable boot, installed a grommet, and wire tied it to the throttle cable as far as I could. Then I attached it to the power steering reservoir at the front of the engine...then down to the oil filter plate. On the 4.6, there is an additional place to put a sending unit, fitting, ect. so you don't have to touch the original guage sending unit. Hope this helps.

Back