Kooks Long Tube

Kirk Bryan

Hey all,
I am in the process of installing a set of Kooks long tubes and the driver side one is exactly 1mm away from the steering shaft. This is fine as long as I don't drive it anywhere.

Has anyone else had this problem?
What did you do to rectify it?

I thought that I read somewhere that there was a smaller diameter steering shaft that would work with our cars. Does anybody have any idea what I am talking about??

I know that I could just put a dent in the one tube that is in the way, but they are ceramic coated already, so I don't want to chip it off.

Thanks peops. Any responses would be greatly apreciated.

Yes....

I'm pretty sure there is a smaller steering coupler made by flaming River. Lots of guys with Kooks headers have swapped over to this part to get the clearance.

When Paul at BTM comes back on Id get in touch with him..You change rag joint to a universal type and you need a peice of SS stock as weell...Simple mod..AND MAKE SURE YOUR MOUNTS ARE GOOD!!!

I've had the Flaming River joint on my car for about 3 years now. Works really well and provides additional clearance.

Manufacturer Part # Description

Flaming River Steering joint FR1715DD ¾” – 36 splines / ¾” DD
Flaming River Steering joint shaft FR1850PL Plated “DD” shaft 18” long ¾” diameter, 2 milled flat sides (only need about 2”)

(I had my machine shop guy make the shaft out of stainless.)

stknad.jpg

IN1.jpg

I'm sure Borgeson and others make similar joints.

Cool stuff George.

Thanks for the good info, as always!

This belongs in the TBSCEC section, when it comes to fruition.

Back