OEM headlights vs. Aftermarket???

tbirdman

I am thinking of switching out my headlight lenses, as I am getting tired of polishing the old yellow original ones. Pretty soon there won't be any plastic to polish! I have seen aftermarket replacement headlight lenses on Ebay and at some internet sites that go for around $65-$95, and was wondering how they compare to the Ford lenses? Do they hold up as well as the OEM lenses (probably a stupid question...I know, especially after hearing all the heartaches about aftermarket body panels)? Or is it just worth it to cough up the extra money and get the OEM lenses? I do intend on keeping my '92 SC (original owner) for as long as she runs, and even then some, so reliability and durability are a concern here.

Any help from anyone who's got experience with these aftermarket lenses would be greatly appreciated!

My son bought a set for his 93 and they look fantastic. He also got the clear corners. They have been on the car for 6 months and they still look perfect. I think they yellow from the heat from the bulbs as some birds never yellow. I think the dont use there car at night as much as others.

yellowing

i bought a complete set a couple years ago, both lights and both corners. they look great, but, ome of the headlights had the glue turn a tan color. looks terrible to me, but most people don't notice. they do make a great difference. really make it look alot nicer IMHO.

I bought the ebay "depo" brand headlights two years ago and the glue on both headlights turned a nasty yellowish tan color. THe lenses are still clear though..

I had aftermarket headlights made by Keystone on my wife's Cougar for a few years. They held up fine and had a lifetime guarantee so they could have been replaced for free had the lenses yellowed.

I believe there is a coating over the plastic lenses that yellows due to exposure to UV Light. I also assume the reports of the glue yellowing is from the same source...UV Light.

Back