I have a question about my brakes

C

CondomRepairMan

I have a question about my brakes

I am about to purchase a 1990 cougar xr7. This is the v6 3.8 liter with the turbo charger. Theres about 52k miles on it and it is in great shape. The one problem are the brakes. They work fine until either you make a gradual stop and keep on the brake for an extended period of time or after you have used the brakes a lot. It feels as if the vacuum of the brakes is gone and they aren't power brakes any more. I dont want to buy this car if the problem has to do with the with turbo charger b/c that is a hell of a lot of money to put in. It may be a fuse or a sensor or just shoddy brake pads. Does anyone have any insight as to the problem? If so please let me what you think of the situation of this car. Thanx

Re: I have a question about my brakes

yeah. its like a mini blower. takes in more air.

I think the point is there is no turbo on the Cougar you are referring to, It is a Supercharger, which is quite different from a turbo.

But to answer the question No the brake problem has nothing to do with the engine. There is no vacuum assist on that car. The power assist for the brakes is accomplished by an electric pump that pressurizes the brake fluid into a steel ball called the accumulator. Probably the problem is there is a leaking seal in the accumulator, or elsewhere in the brake master cylinder.

Luckily you can remove the master cylinder and have it rebuilt by a company called priorreman, I think the cost is around $400.

I would definately get the car and fix the brakes, but be aware these cars are much different from a typical car.There are special repair procedures, and maintenance. But you have found the website here, and this is a VERY valuable source of info, not to brag, but collectively we know much more than the dealers about these cars. These are great cars if you like to do your own maintenance and repairs because most shops don't know much about them, and those that do definately charge for it.

The Cougars are kind of rare, especially with low miles. I would like to get one someday myself. What color is it?

Sorry, I accidentally typed turbo charger. I meant super charger. My bad. I feel dumb now.

Well if you can fix condoms...

You can fix the brake problem I'm sure. Buy it!!

John

Back